BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bayerische Motoren Werke
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the yellow oil warning light is staying on after the ignition is turned off. Checked the dip stick and confirmed oil level is low, its right on the lower marker of the high and low marker indicator.

Is it normal for the car to be running low on oil already (car has roughly 4k miles on it)? I imagine it is, its just that I rarely had to add oil to my '99 bmw between oil changes.

I read the recommended oil is synthetic 5w30. Also, read bmw uses a castrol oil. Is is necessary for me to swing by bmw and pick up replacement oil from them? Or can I use another brand like mobil or similar synthetic oil? I do own the car, not lease, so I want to treat the engine accordingly. Thanks.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
02330ci said:
So the yellow oil warning light is staying on after the ignition is turned off. Checked the dip stick and confirmed oil level is low, its right on the lower marker of the high and low marker indicator.

Is it normal for the car to be running low on oil already (car has roughly 4k miles on it)? I imagine it is, its just that I rarely had to add oil to my '99 bmw between oil changes.

I read the recommended oil is synthetic 5w30. Also, read bmw uses a castrol oil. Is is necessary for me to swing by bmw and pick up replacement oil from them? Or can I use another brand like mobil or similar synthetic oil? I do own the car, not lease, so I want to treat the engine accordingly. Thanks.
Some 330s burn oil, although my 328 never has....

Don't use off the shelf Castrol, the BMW stuff is different. Use it or Mobil 1.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Seems fairly normal. I added a quart over the first 7000 miles, not all at once.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 2001 330CI needed a quart at about 4500 miles. I thought that might be a little early but most of my driving is stop n' go. My service writer said that he didn't think it indicated anything amiss and that he had seen many 330's that needed oil between 2500 and 5000. However, he insisted that I had to use BMW synthetic and not Mobil 1 which I used to run in my previous car, a '99 Corvette. (That car used to use a quart every 3000 miles and ran beautifully, so I wouldn't read anything too much into it.) Incidentally, a local independent BMW service mechanic told me that there is a difference between BMW synthetic and Mobil 1. Their color is different, so BMW doesn't appear to be repackaging Mobil's product and sticking an additional markup on it. But of course, somebody produces it for BMW. Might be nice to find out who, and buy oil directly from them. BMW synthetic is the most expensive oil i've ever purchased.:p

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
plugot said:
Might be nice to find out who, and buy oil directly from them. BMW synthetic is the most expensive oil i've ever purchased.:p
It is made by Castrol. $3.80 list isn't bad :dunno:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hmmm, I paid just over $3/bottle with CCA discount at local dealer. :dunno: Just bought a case, one quart always in the trunk. :thumbup:

·
non sequitur
888 Posts
I heard that the sythetic oil used by BMW is specifically designed for extended mileage and is not the stuff you can buy in stores... But I only faintly remeber where it was discussed before.

·
Bayerische Motoren Werke
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all, I think Ill swing by a bmw dealer and pick up a few quarts from them. Anyone know how much a quart is w/o the discount?

·
Lead Foot
442 Posts
Oil Consumption on 330ci

Mine is just on 5,000 miles and hasn't used more than 1/2 pint of oil. My records from my previous 528 says I spent $3.08 per quart for BMW Sntex from my dealer on 5/20/01. Intend to change it this week with BMW oil and filter purchased from my dealer. This is CCA member price. Thanks for the info on store bought Castrol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts