BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Rather than making multiple threads, I figured I'd just consolidate a few of my several problems here.

1) Temp Rising
So, my temp has been rising, then correcting itself, then rising, then correcting itself ad nauseam. I've unlocked my OBC and started monitoring the actual digital temp readout. My car would do this occasionally when I first got it, maybe a handful of times per month, if even. It would just barely move, then come right back. Its got to the point that it now does it several times per drive. The most it gets to is 117*C, which is not quite to the right white marker line. It then drops back down to 98-101*, then goes back up. The whole process is very linear and constant. It takes from 5.5-7 minutes to do a full cycle, from 117* to 100* to 117* again.
Is my thermostat just sticking and freeing, or is there something more sinister? It does it more frequently when stopped, but also sometimes at freeway speeds as well. I don't hear the fan clutch or aux fan turing on during these cycles, yet it still goes up and back down, seemingly on its own. Any ideas?

Normal:
Photobucket
</a>

117* - the most its hit so far:
Photobucket
</a>

2) Amp Install
So I picked up a pair of Alpine V-Power amps, a 4 ch and 2 ch. I'm going to replace my DSP amp with them. A few questions - will the speed compensated volume be retained? I'm hoping that's done in the MID and not the amps. Also, how many channels effectively leave the DSP amp? Are there crossovers in the line later one, or just at the amp? I know there are the A pillar tweeters, door small speakers, door midbass, rear door midbass, probably rear deck midrange, and the rear deck subs. Are there really 10-14 channels leaving the amp? Also, is there room to mount the amps behind the carpet paneling forward of the trim panel for the CD changer? And, the CD changer is fine with just 2 connections on the back of it, right? There is a 3rd small coax wire that runs directly to the DSP amp - what's the function of it and is it necessary? Lastly, I have a 12" Infinity Kappa dual voice coil, which requires 1 ft^3 sealed or 2 ft^3 ported. Are there any good mounting locations to help make it take less room out of my trunk? I don't want a big box floating back there, I'd like an enclosure semi-built-in to the trunk.

3) Noise in Engine Bay
On the drivers side of the engine, down close to where the valve cover meets the head, there is a noise being made by some part. It's pretty hard to describe. I'll try to get a picture of the area and circle what I think is making the noise. Its a long silver cylinder looking thing. It makes noise engine running and not, even with the key out of the ignition. I changed my oil and detailed the car for a few hours and it was still making the noise at the end of it. No noticeable battery drain. Any thoughts on what it could be and if its serious?

4) Floor Mats
:D The drivers side is non-OEM and driving me nuts since it won't stay still, or even fit right. The other 3 are in surprisingly good condition, so I hate to pay $140 for a set of 4. Anyone have a spare OEM sand/tan drivers side velcro floormat for a reasonable price? :D

Thanks, sorry for the long post and non-sense title....haha. Any help, suggestions, or ideas would be very appreciated!

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump....I know I made a mistake on the title, but cmon....

·
Coole Russen
1,304 Posts
That cylindrical thing is speed sensitive power steering, I believe. Don't quote me on this though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am most likely going to replace all of my sand beige mats in my 2000 540. They've got 67k miles on the mats, but they're in pretty good condition. If you like I can take a pic and send it to you. I wouldn't charge you more than $25 for the mat.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
1) It sounds possibly like the thermostat is stuck closed. Questions:
  • Does your car take longer to heat up than before. You state that it's done this since you got it, so it may have never warmed up quickly. Try this early one morning or one cool night: start the car cold and hit the 5 or the 805 or whatever, just make sure you're near the cool coastal air. If it doesn't take too long to heat up, and if it gets past the middle even in cool air, it's indicative.
  • Does it heat up when stopped, then normalize when you're moving?
What happens is that coolant can either recirculate around the engine (keeping the heat in the engine), or circulate from the engine to the radiator and back again (taking the waste heat from the engine and dumping it to the atmosphere). Based on the engine temperature, the thermostat decides to stay closed keep the coolant/heat in the engine or open up and bring the coolant/heat to the radiator. If the thermostat is stuck closed, heat is not being taken away from the engine when it should be. When moving, some heat can escape by the swirling air. It sounds like you already suspect/know most of this, so run the codes to see what comes up.

4) If you don't get the mats from Digitron, I have a set of fairly weathered dove gray mats. Gray on beige? Bleeeach! I also have a set of pretty new black ones that I got for Bimmerfest in May 2008 that I can drop off next time I'm in San Diego.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts