BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just got my 328i after 2 months of waiting. But after 1 month of driving my baby someone decided to key her.

The damage is about a 10 inches long thread. My heart just drop after seeing the damage, then I got mad...mostly not because of the scratch but to the idea that someone would do such a thing to vent their jealousy.

My options are now to repaint the car door at Marco's body shop for or to go to a scratch master to repair the scratch.

If I go to the body shop would the quality of paint be the same as the BMW factory? Since I'm keeping this car for a while, I'm concern that the paint will start to chip after some years.
The lady quoted $1800 for the job, but she says since the insurance covers it I would only have to pay the deductible $500. And BTW...it will take 2 weeks.

If I go to a scratch master, I'm concern that the door may have a 2 tone paint or swirl marks. If they don't do a good job then I probably won't be able to go back to my insurance to claim the damage.

These are the questions going through my head right now. Although I'm over the anger now and more cautious of where I park. I just don't know what to do. What do you think?

·
Registered
33 Posts
If it were my BMW, I would take it to the dealer where I got the car. A good autobody shop will tell you if the scratch can be fixed without painting the entire door. Most of the BMW dealers have people like scratch master in every so often to prep used vehicles and they know what the scratch experts can do. They should be able to provide you with a contact they use for scratches to get an expert opinion.

My options wouldnt' include Maco.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi,

I just got my 328i after 2 months of waiting. But after 1 month of driving my baby someone decided to key her.

The damage is about a 10 inches long thread. My heart just drop after seeing the damage, then I got mad...mostly not because of the scratch but to the idea that someone would do such a thing to vent their jealousy.

My options are now to repaint the car door at Marco's body shop for or to go to a scratch master to repair the scratch.

If I go to the body shop would the quality of paint be the same as the BMW factory? Since I'm keeping this car for a while, I'm concern that the paint will start to chip after some years.
The lady quoted $1800 for the job, but she says since the insurance covers it I would only have to pay the deductible $500. And BTW...it will take 2 weeks.

If I go to a scratch master, I'm concern that the door may have a 2 tone paint or swirl marks. If they don't do a good job then I probably won't be able to go back to my insurance to claim the damage.

These are the questions going through my head right now. Although I'm over the anger now and more cautious of where I park. I just don't know what to do. What do you think?
Sorry your car got keyed. I feel your pain. My car got keyed in Switzerland 2-months ago while I was on my ED trip. Your heart sinks when you see that first scratch. :bawling:

The good news is that it can be fixed and your car will be good as new. Keep your chin up. :)

·
resident dj
201 Posts
$1800 sounds like they are going to re-paint the entire side of the car. I would take it to a dealer and/or couple of more high-end body shops and get more estimates if i were you.

Painting 1 door even with BWM original paint should not cost you more than $500-700 including labor charges. Since your car is brand new, no color-matching required (you don't have any faded out paint to match to)

·
Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
9,684 Posts
No color match, huh?

Since your car is brand new, no color-matching required (you don't have any faded out paint to match to)
Um, different paint lots to be sure. Color matching will be an issue, IMO, no matter who paints the car. From my experience, it's pretty much a stroke of luck when repainting matches the original without being able to be detected.

·
I'll do what I want!
288 Posts
You gotta have comprehensive insurance, pay the deductible take it to the dealer get it done right.
I feel your pain. I parked at the Philly airport couple years back. Someone keyed my 325 front to back and bent up both wiper arms. It's disgusting how many peolpe have abolutely no regard whatsoever for anybody else property at all.

·
Banned
4,301 Posts
I just don't know what to do. What do you think?
Getting keyed is a badge of honor. Shows the world how great you are and how jealous others are of you just because of the car you own.

Don't be so quick to repair the keying; show it off for awhile.

BJ

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
20,103 Posts
Sorry to hear that. So sad. Do not let MAACO do the painting.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i feel the pain brother, same thing happened to me in the first week i got the car. well , i paid 350 to get it fixed, a friend of mine owns a paint shop here in brooklyn, if you are in brooklyn i can hook you up, and you decide

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the support here. I knew you guys would understand.
I just talk to some of my friends here.
One of them said that I should just go with the scratch repair, instead of doing the whole door. It's not worth the time he said, and I think its not worth the risk of them not being able to match the color.
He says the guy will mix the color himself to spray the car, but I'm thinking I should get the factory touch up paint from bmw to the guy and ask him to use the toothpick method provided here in bimmerfest, because I think spray painting the car is probably not detail enough.
Gosh, I'm thinking too hard on this, maybe I should just try to meditate more often, and wear the scar as a victory badge like what the previous member recommended.

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
Thanks for all the support here. I knew you guys would understand.
I just talk to some of my friends here.
One of them said that I should just go with the scratch repair, instead of doing the whole door. It's not worth the time he said, and I think its not worth the risk of them not being able to match the color.
He says the guy will mix the color himself to spray the car, but I'm thinking I should get the factory touch up paint from bmw to the guy and ask him to use the toothpick method provided here in bimmerfest, because I think spray painting the car is probably not detail enough.
Gosh, I'm thinking too hard on this, maybe I should just try to meditate more often, and wear the scar as a victory badge like what the previous member recommended.
:rofl: thats BJ.... if you're seriously considering his advice you DO need to meditate.

·
I'll do what I want!
288 Posts
Good Luck Guy. I still say take it to BMW auto body let them do it, file an insurance claim pay the deductible. However if you decide to try to get it touched up I think you will always see the scratch and it will drive you friggen nuts. There are a lot of primers, color coats and clear coats, I don't believe scratch repair will blend in 100%. It's a 2008 and brand spanking new, why mess around?

·
Registered
16 Posts
The same thing happened to me when I got my 06 325. I was jet black and someone ran a key down the right rear door. I went back to my dealership and they painted it for free. I would go back to your dealership and see what they can work out for you.

·
I'll do what I want!
288 Posts
The same thing happened to me when I got my 06 325. I was jet black and someone ran a key down the right rear door. I went back to my dealership and they painted it for free. I would go back to your dealership and see what they can work out for you.
Any dealership that would do that for free would have my business forever, good story.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Getting keyed is a badge of honor. Shows the world how great you are and how jealous others are of you just because of the car you own.

Don't be so quick to repair the keying; show it off for awhile.

BJ
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

if that happened to BJ, how long would he show it off?? 1 week? 1 month? more? I am very curious!!
help me!! anyone care to answer?? ( I want to hear from BJ but, he wouldn't talk to me)
BJ!! talk to me!! forgive me!! :bawling:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.