BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
...worked on the railroad
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today (10/11/02), at Crevier BMW, I participated in the Susan G. Komen TestDrive (this benefits breast cancer research).

I chose a 5-speed Z3; I'd never driven one; my doctor has one, and he loves it.

It was a blast - so much power compared to the ol' Camry! I had the top down and KLOS 95.5 FM blasting. Ah, the drive was all too short!

It made the waiting for 'Karl' a little more bearable!

:thumbup:

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
I was there today too! What color shirt were you wearing? I was wearing beige shorts/black shirt and a silly smirk. Wonder if we were there at the same time? :D

I drove:

530i (manual): Seemed kinda heavy and 'floaty' to me. Still nice though. Wish my tranny shifted that smooth.
Z3 2.5 (manual): Very fun car! Loved it, had more power than I anticipated.
540i wagon (step): Wow, does this thing have torque or what? It would chirp pretty loud going into second even without trying too hard. I would love to try a 6-speed sedan. Story: I was following a guy I met at the event that had taken out a 330Ci. We went into a turn at probably 80% grip (me anyway) when it downshifted on me :mad: while I was easing into the throttle while exiting the turn. The rear end broke loose and with all the mass those things have I couldn't recover it. 180 degress later I was stopped in the opposite lane. At least I was pointing in the right direction! No traffic around whatsoever otherwise I wouldn't have pushed it like that. I hate automatics. (of course I just made all of that up etc. :angel: )
745i: I didn't like it at all when it first came out, but after driving it I think this car is impressive for it's size. The engine isn't exciting but it really moves. The suspension is great for a car like this. And I really like the design of the interior (i-drive was easy enough).
Z3 3.0 (step): Pretty fun stuff, but doesn't inspire much confidence in the turns. Wish it was a manual.
Edit: 330Ci (step) Not as much fun as my car... glad I have a manual tranny. :thumbup:

I was supposed to drive the X5 4.4i but someone cut in front of me. That's okay though... I think I drove enough for one day anyway. :thumbup:

Great event for a worthy cause. Lots of people driving briskly and having fun. A couple people were a bit irresponsible though... ~110 in a 45 at 4:00pm is clearly not thinking. Not that my little DSC-shut-off 180 spin was any better I guess, but at least nobody was around. :eek:

An easier to follow course would have made it a bit better IMHO, lots of people were all over the place mostly because they didn't know where to go. But again, overall it was awesome and I'd highly recommend the event to anyone who hasn't gone. I think they are doing it tomorrow in Buena Park.

--SONET

·
:-)
2,262 Posts
i went to the one at shelly today (saturday) was there for like 3.5 hours.. it was a blast.

guess what, they didn't have the 325Ci manual that i signed up for (since that's the car i'm considering) said 'it was out of service'....

anywho, got to drive the Z3 2.5 manual, that car was very fun, good exhaust note and decent power.. does the z3 weigh less than a 325Ci? and i pretty much tried everything they had, 330Cic, 530i manual, 745i, X5 (what a piece of junk.. car didn't feel tightly built like the other bimmers, rattles everywhere, even my mom and brother who don't know much about cars mentioned that this car feels not as tightly built as the other bimmers, then i told them it's assembled in the u.s. and they said 'ohhhhh, i see')

there were cops everywhere along the route!!! one time i took off with the 745i from a redlight going 60 in a 40 zone, then i saw 2 motorcycle cops coming from the other direction, i immediately slowed down to 40.. then i try to act like nothing's wrong but i look in the rearview and i see both of them making a u-turn. :banghead: :banghead: i was going 'oh, shit' but then they pulled off into a side street. :D :D if i was in, say, the z3, maybe they'd have pulled me over..

·
2,262 Posts
i just remembered something else, i came home to take my bro along for a ride in the z3 cuz i live right along their recommended route.. and in the residential streets, i took corners pretty quick and i got to see what the dsc (or whatever's in the z3) was about :thumbup: all 4 of the wheels were screeching.. and the thing is this corolla was behind me.. and i don't know why but he was trying to drive 'fast' as well... :lmao:

after i picked up my bro and was leaving, i ran into him/her again, and was trying to keep up with me and while i stopped at a redlight waiting to turn left, he/she turns right while screeching their tires.. :lmao: :lmao: :tsk: :tsk:

·
paddle shifter
931 Posts
You get to drive the cars without a dealer in them, right?

·
2,262 Posts
it's hard to put a dealer in a car..

yes, you can either go alone or bring along passengers. :thumbup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
if you can get a spot, these events are great! :) i went twice already. both times i've driven manual tranny Z3s. man, i want one! even the 2.5i is pretty powerful and preppy. and the exhaust note and shifter feel is something to die for. :p

i tested out the X5 3.0 and i didn't like it at all either. i tried to take corners a bit more aggressively and it didn't make me feel good and the tires were complaining the whole way. i concluded that a truck is a truck, even if it has a BMW engine in it. bah.

and steptronic is evil. damn thing takes forever to shift in "manual" mode. so unfun. :thumbdwn:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.