BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

A New Destination for E.D. Trips: Maastricht

788 Views 2 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  JSpira
I visited Maastricht on my most recent E.D. trip and it was my first time there. It is just as picturesque as my mother said it would be (it was her idea for me to go, honestly) and off I went.

Christian Stampfer's just-published article on Maastricht covers what to do and see quite nicely.

What's Doing in Maastricht

Maastricht is situated on the river Meuse ("Maas" in Dutch) and is home to over 120,000 people. Known today for the Maastricht Treaty (the Treaty of the European Union, which was signed there in 1992, created the European Union, and led to the single European currency the euro), the city, which directly borders Belgium and is not far from the German border, gets its name from the Latin "Mosae Trajectum", which means "crossing-place on the Meuse" (river).

Maastricht, one of the oldest if not the oldest city in the Netherlands is the capital of the Dutch province of Limburg, which comprises the southern part of the Netherlands.

Given its location, Maastricht is a city of many languages. While Dutch is the national language, many residents speak Limburgish, a common dialect in the Limburg and Rhineland regions near the common Belgian/Dutch/German border. German and English are widely spoken as well and French, which was the language of education in the 19th century, has left its imprint on the local dialect.
<snip>
Article continues here

</snip>
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Perfect timing... I'm re-reading Shirer's Berlin Diary, and the Germans just crossed the Meuse (May 1940).
What book will you be reading (or movie, watching) when I write about Arnheim? :angel:
Perfect timing... I'm re-reading Shirer's Berlin Diary, and the Germans just crossed the Meuse (May 1940).
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.