BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the wiki and so many accounts of people washing their car prior to drop-off at Harms or other drop off points, some even washing their cars with bottles of water graciously being administered by a significant other. In my preparation/packing for my upcoming ED, the following thought came to mind.

The BMW welt prepares your car prior to European Delivery and presentation. Wouldn't it be great if for those who desire drop-off in Munich, we could take our ED cars back to the Welt for a hand wash (maybe for a small fee to make it fair to the BMW workers) and we could drive the car to the Munich drop off point?:thumbup:

What do you guys think?

·
You can call me Bill
827 Posts
seems like a waste if it's just going to be checked over again at the dealership before re-delivery. The only people who will appreciate the cleaned up car (besides you) will be the dockworkers driving it into the ship. Save a few bucks on the wash and buy yourself a drink on the flight home to console your sorrow at leaving without your brand new car.

·
Special Agent
2,683 Posts
Great... something else you would need to schedule and waste time at. No thanks, I will go to the same car wash I have the past two trips which is on the way to MADA and takes less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I don't have anything against Frank's idea for an optional service. On our return to Munich we went back to the Welt for a bit of shopping and on to the museum. If we hadn't turned the car in the afternoon before, I would have paid for a good hand wash.

OTOH, going to APZ (listed in the Wiki) was easy as it is on the way to MADA/Harms. And, learning how to pay for and use the automated car wash was fun, in a perverse sort of way. :p

·
Freude am Fahren
19,701 Posts
I don't have anything against Frank's idea for an optional service.
No but the nice people at the BMW Welt would. Once the cars go out, they don´t want them back nor are they equipped to take IN cars off the street.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
In Oct, this will be my first ED so I am not speaking from experience

However.......JSpira was nice enough to help host a tour of the VPC in New Jersey, and after the cars are move the ship to the temp parking lot and then the lot at the VPC they sit and back in the sun, or left in the rain or all kinds of weather, most of them coming into the VPC looked pretty dirty.

So, not sure the trouble of the wash is necessary...but I believe I rather just spray it down at the local wash and be done with it.

·
weissbiermeister
1,256 Posts
I think BMW could make it easier by providing a car wash or, (better) provide a place where you could DIY.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I say we get them to wash the cars after we beat on them for a few weeks, then detail them, and then wrap the cars in that stuff you guys up north store your boats in for the winter. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Running around in circles
3,638 Posts
I didn't bother washing my car :p

·
Registered
436 Posts
This obsession with washing surely cannot be healthy.

The cars are going to be exposed to the elements in various lots and on transporters. They will probably get even dirtier that way than they did during the time they spent touring Europe.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quick question for you?

Do you know if they put these "humidity absorber packs" in the car for shipment?

These cars spend some time in a ship, so I think could get a little humid in the boat. Probably they are not needed, but I was just wondering since cars now have a good amount of electronics in them.

·
UR MOTHER IS AN ASTRONAUT
1,007 Posts
I did wash mine before dropping off in Bremerhaven. Mainly 2 get the bugs off. I like the way the OP posed the suggestion as a fee based idea. Most would have posted that BMW owes us this service for free. BMW owes us nothing, but great driving cars. We get enough from the ED alone. Keep it up and we will end up like the Porche ED people.

·
ColeInSD
40 Posts
In the mean time, for those who decide not to have several flattened European insects get a free ride to the US, there are Aral gas stations (and others) all throughout Germany with car washes attached at which, for 1 euro (or a little more depending on the station), you can use their power washing sprayer to clean your car. For those dropping off in Frankfurt, there's one right around the corner from Harms.

·
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)
3,585 Posts
This obsession with washing surely cannot be healthy.

The cars are going to be exposed to the elements in various lots and on transporters. They will probably get even dirtier that way than they did during the time they spent touring Europe.
For a lot of us, it's really not the dirt that's the problem, or the elements. It's the bugs. The acids from smashed bugs will pit the clearcoat and the paint.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Here is the location of the car wash near the drop off at Harms Munich. I have posted pictures.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sad...06884&sspn=0.003251,0.006781&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16

This is an Aral gas station - you need to go inside - buy a ticket for the wash that has a number on it - then park your car up to the line - get out - then punch in the number on the ticket and the wash process then starts and runs automatically. The other picture is after the wash. Cost is like 7 Euros. There is also a high power water spray machine just before you drive in the wash that takes 1 Euro to manually spray the car and wheels. In fact for those who just want to get the bugs off the front-end and clean the wheels you could just drop 1 Euro in this sprayer then head over to Harms.

Attachments

·
UR MOTHER IS AN ASTRONAUT
1,007 Posts
I don't know the address of the self-serv car wash I used, but it was directly across the street from a BMW dealer. It is .5km from the harms drop-off in Bremerhaven. It had heated water also. Here is the address of the dealer Stresemannstr. 319, 27580 Bremerhaven, Germany - 0471 98280-0. The name of the dealer is Bobrink. If u use the nav for BMW centers it will come up. The address for Harms: Alfred Wegener Strasse 6 27580 Bremerhaven

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
For a lot of us, it's really not the dirt that's the problem, or the elements. It's the bugs. The acids from smashed bugs will pit the clearcoat and the paint.
Bugs and brake dust,please try and get your cars washed before you drop them off.

·
On the Road!
165 Posts
Another option I found (but didn't utilize) is that some of the underground "pay" parking lots in Munich have hand car wash services. It might be something to consider if you plan on staying in Munich overnight after many days of bug killing before you drop off to Harms.

My hotel was Hotel Deutches Theatre on Schwanthallerstrasse near the hauptbahnhoff. If you want the parking garage that does the car washes, it is on the next street over, Landwehrstasse, between Sonnenstrasse and Schillerstrasse. I didn't utilize the service, so I have no idea of the cost or protocol, but would imagine you leave them your key and they take care of it.

Dave.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,701 Posts
I didn't utilize the service, so I have no idea of the cost or protocol, but would imagine you leave them your key and they take care of it.
That wouldn´t work since you need to be in possession of your keys at all times (i.e. no valet parking).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts