BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 325i 160K miles, daily driver

First, my 325i started jumping and jerking under heavy load at around 3000 - 4000rpm. didnt know what it was. One time the car jerked (almost like a misfire or a tranny slip) and a SEL came on with three or four other warning lights - traction control, tire pressure, brake light, four or five warnings total. Then they would go off when I shut off and restarted. Jerking didnt stop though.

Decided to start with the coils and plugs (havent been done since before 100K), and just got finished with those a little while ago. took out for a test drive and it seems to have improved the problem.

Here is the issue: all the warning lights stay on now and the car has a really tough time starting. I noticed driving that I couldnt get it too jerk or jump so I may have fixed that problem - although the power feels a little sluggish - but I dont like how hard it has to work to start (sometimes more than 6-7 seconds) and that all of the lights stay on (including SEL) The code it gives is a crankshaft position sensor.

Alrighty BMW magicians. What is my next move? I already bought oxygen sensors because I thought I might need them to fix the jerk, now that doesnt seem smart to replace those. help help help!

·
Banned
10,410 Posts
2006 325i 160K miles, daily driver

First, my 325i started jumping and jerking under heavy load at around 3000 - 4000rpm. didnt know what it was. One time the car jerked (almost like a misfire or a tranny slip) and a SEL came on with three or four other warning lights - traction control, tire pressure, brake light, four or five warnings total. Then they would go off when I shut off and restarted. Jerking didnt stop though.

Decided to start with the coils and plugs (havent been done since before 100K), and just got finished with those a little while ago. took out for a test drive and it seems to have improved the problem.

Here is the issue: all the warning lights stay on now and the car has a really tough time starting. I noticed driving that I couldnt get it too jerk or jump so I may have fixed that problem - although the power feels a little sluggish - but I dont like how hard it has to work to start (sometimes more than 6-7 seconds) and that all of the lights stay on (including SEL) The code it gives is a crankshaft position sensor.

Alrighty BMW magicians. What is my next move? I already bought oxygen sensors because I thought I might need them to fix the jerk, now that doesnt seem smart to replace those. help help help!
There is a directory of owner/operator fixes available online....click HERE for an exhaustive list!

All issues seem to be consistent w/crankshaft position sensor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a directory of owner/operator fixes available online....click HERE for an exhaustive list!

All issues seem to be consistent w/crankshaft position sensor.
hmm. That would be an easy fix. Would that be consistent with the warning lights and such? that doesnt make sense?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Battery is all good, Replaced last year and turns it over hard.

Not sure whether to do the crankshaft or just let the BMW guys charge me an arm and a leg to figure it out.

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
If it isn't related to a sensor be it crank or cam I would like to ask if your car came under the battery cable replacement bulletin? Some but not all of your symptoms are consistent with a problem like that.
Codes are not steering you to a solution?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it isn't related to a sensor be it crank or cam I would like to ask if your car came under the battery cable replacement bulletin? Some but not all of your symptoms are consistent with a problem like that.
Codes are not steering you to a solution?
Thats just it. I am not sure if the codes are leading me to something, but warning lights and the SEL code I get (P0335) dont seem to be consistent. Also, I think I fixed the jerking problem, albiet I have been scared to really drive it hard with all of the other lights lighting up on the dash.

Should I change the Crank pos sensor and see what happens? or take it to the dealership and pay the outrageous diagnostic fees?

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Start looking at the DIY's for Crankshaft Sensor.

Start looking at the DIY's for Crankshaft Sensor.
There are a few try googling them.
There have been several of these reported here.

·
Banned
10,410 Posts
Thats just it. I am not sure if the codes are leading me to something, but warning lights and the SEL code I get (P0335) dont seem to be consistent. Also, I think I fixed the jerking problem, albiet I have been scared to really drive it hard with all of the other lights lighting up on the dash.

Should I change the Crank pos sensor and see what happens? or take it to the dealership and pay the outrageous diagnostic fees?
Given your operation issues and the code, I'd R&R the crank position sensor.

N52 being basically a N54, and the sensor being an easy fix, I say click HERE

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
CP sensors crack, get oil in them, and short in and out. My wife's car would stall and and jerk and just die for a while sometimes. Replaced Crank Shaft and Camshaft sensors in her car and not a problem since. At least it not's a super expensive "throw at" repair if you can DIY to rule them out and not a bad idea to replace anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, looks like that did the trick! Car drives better than it has in a long time. New coils and plugs and a new crankshaft position sensor.

one thing, will the SEL go out on it's own or should I have it cleared. THANKS ALL, very excited to have my ride back on the go.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I had to clear my fault code out as it stayed on. Maybe it will.eventually go off but I got tired of waiting.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using BimmerApp mobile app

1 - 13 of 13 Posts