BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After dropping off my wife and daughter at the airport in Munich, I will have another nine or ten days to tour Europe by myself :cry: . I was thinking about spending a few days in Amsterdam but know nothing about the area.

Would this be a good place to visit, or should I completely avoid the place? I would appreciate any suggestions on how I could kill a few days in Europe while flying solo :dunno: .

Naturally, I plan to use this time to drive the Autobahn without having a speed limiter (the human kind) sitting next to me ;), but apart from driving, am looking for some interesting things to do in Europe.
 

·
Freude am Fahren
Joined
·
19,698 Posts
samplemaven said:
I would appreciate any suggestions on how I could kill a few days in Europe while flying solo .
./quote]I guess the question you need to ask yourself is where haven´t you been or spent a lot of time in in Europe?

You could pick a place you´ve already visited briefly and spend more time, or pick someplace you´ve always wanted to visit but haven´t yet.

Amsterdam is a great place to visit btw.

A few other places to consider incl. Vienna, Budapest, Berchtesgaden, Bozen, Lindau, Heidelberg, and Berlin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,195 Posts
I dropped our car in Amsterdam and spent 3 days there,there's plenty to see.Another good way is to get a good map of Eastern Europe and come up with some kind of easy driving route covering the Cities/Countries that you're interested in.Try to line up a plant tour in Dingolfing,it's on Tu and Fr at 2 and lasts 2 1/2 hours.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
samplemaven said:
After dropping off my wife and daughter at the airport in Munich, I will have another nine or ten days to tour Europe by myself :cry: . I was thinking about spending a few days in Amsterdam but know nothing about the area.

Would this be a good place to visit, or should I completely avoid the place? I would appreciate any suggestions on how I could kill a few days in Europe while flying solo :dunno: .

Naturally, I plan to use this time to drive the Autobahn without having a speed limiter (the human kind) sitting next to me ;), but apart from driving, am looking for some interesting things to do in Europe.
\
Amsterdam gets a bad rap for the pot and redlight district. It's actaully a really great city. Don't attempt to drive in if you don't have a hotel with a garage in the city. I usually park in the Gasperplas park & ride southeast of the town center. If you do decide to go make sure not to miss the VanGogh Museum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,356 Posts
If your up in that neck of the woods, visit Hamburg too. My German relatives keep raving about it and they're from Bavaria.
 

·
This Guy
Joined
·
804 Posts
Without hesitation, visit Amsterdam. Hell, visit Holland. The country is GORGEOUS and you can't beat free porn on every channel...

Oh yeah, the country is nice...and the free porn is good too...but see the country...



free porn...:bigpimp:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,180 Posts
Amsterdam is great

EricG said:
\
Amsterdam gets a bad rap for the pot and redlight district. It's actaully a really great city. Don't attempt to drive in if you don't have a hotel with a garage in the city. I usually park in the Gasperplas park & ride southeast of the town center. If you do decide to go make sure not to miss the VanGogh Museum.
I can't comment on the quality of the pot or the redlight district - people rave about it, but that may be tourist hype. If you go to some of the better establishments, you should be fine. Ask for recommendations beforehand.

Personally, I found Amsterdam to be a relaxing and wonderful city. We were then in May when the weather was a little chilly (for us anyway), but the sun was out. It was amazing - the sun stays out until about 10pm in summer. It is a great walking and seeing city, so similar to Paris, but much less commercialized. Its a place to sit back, have a coffee (in a tea house), and watch the world unfold. Then the walks by the canals are wonderful as well. Definitely a place to revisit again.

I also definitely echo the suggestions of not driving in the city itself. There really is no need. But a quick trip into the Holland countryside may also be very charming.
 

·
Powder Days
Joined
·
1,998 Posts
Amsterdam is great to see including the newly reopened Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh. One our favorites is a night cruise of the canals, especailly when the guide gives the comments in English, Dutch, German, Japanese.......

While in the area, visit Brussels and Brugge in Belgium while sampling some of their great Belgian Beers. :drink:

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
go smoke some wacky tabbacky and live it up, get a couple hookers while you are at it... come on, just because a country allows this type of activities does not mean it is a bad place to go, you have been drugged by the media. Amsterdam is a great place that has learned that allowing these activities is much more socially correct than throwing people in jail for it. Actually they should be viewed as socially advanced rather than looked down upon.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top