BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after a year and a half with the Activehybrid 3 and 25,000 miles of very enjoyable driving, I'm starting to look ahead once again to the future.

With 40,000mi. on it now, it is coming up for being out of warranty and, after reading a post somewhere about a tranny replacement costing $25K+, its not a car I would own once repairs are on my dime.

The problem is I havent found another car to trade for that does everything this vehicle does.
It is really one of the most unique cars around and definitely my favorite ever. Everything else I drive has some part of the equation missing - too expensive, too gas guzzling, not enough performance, those wheels suck, etc, etc, etc. And of course anytime you trade, especially after only a year and a half, you're losing your :bareass:

The other option is to get a powertrain only extended warranty for around $3k to at least cover something catastrophic happening, and just ride the lightning. There will still be peripheral costs such as a $600 transmission fluid change required every other oil change :confused:, and of course the possibility of other non drivetrain malfunctions.

But as it stands notw I will probably end up doing that because I love the car and, for the perfomance, it is wonderfully efficient.

Speaking of efficiency, I have been getting about 29.7 mpg, with 70% highway and 30% city, (will cruise all day at 35mpg on long trips), while not driving with a particularly light foot. This compares to about 24.5 with my 2009 335 AWD, so definitely better BUT - that may not all be attributed to the hybrid drive because:

Its 2 wheel drive vs AWD
N55 engine is supposedly slightly more efficient than the N54
Tires on the hybrid are 225 wide as opposed to 255 on the 09 335XI.

Anyway, what experiences have other Activehybrid 3 owners had out there lately - thinking of keeping or getting rid of?, overall comments or issues?

·
Registered
971 Posts
This is the 2 series forum (228i, M235i, 230i, M240i); you might get a better response if you post your question in the 3 series forum. Perhaps a moderator can move it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doh!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doh!:doh:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts