BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some threads on Route66 and other extended warranties, but not much on AAA. I have a 2014 535i xDrive with 28,800 miles on it. Factory through Aug 2017 and CPO through Aug 2019. I would like to keep this car for the long haul. I drive about 16-18k miles per year and would like as much coverage as possible.

AAA Platinum (exclusionary) is being quoted to me @ $2255 after $500 discount for being AAA over 20 years. And if one doesn't want to pay all up front, 18 monthly payments with no interest. Attached is the contract. This seems really good, but not exposed to any stories of success or failure with them. Anyone have info?

Thanks!

Ted

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2020 G12; 2019 G01' 2020 MB E450 wagon
1,481 Posts
How long in miles or years? If you also have CPO until 2019, that is three years off. Are they requiring you to buy now or can you wait?

I don't think this policy is a great bargain:

Platinum does not cover electronics unless you purchase that as an addition. They also specifically say that "equivalent" parts can be used, so it won't be OEM most of the time.
Finally, and most importantly, there is an aggregate claim limit of $5000 over the life of the policy. That means you are paying $2255 and can only collect back a maximum of $5000, or just $2745 more than your premium. So you are NOT protected against a catastrophic failure like a blown engine. In those circumstances, you are probably better off putting the money you would have paid in instalments into an interest bearing account and self insuring, or at some point before your CPO expires, find coverage that is better.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Only the Silver has the $5000 limit. Gold, Platinum above are $5000 or the NADA value whichever is greater.

Personally I'd wait till I was much closer to the end of current warranty before buying extended; why let them invest your money, and who knows if you'll still really want to keep it when 2019 rolls around.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, platinum payout is higher. Cpo is way less coverage than my factory, right? I would think getting for post factory provides most protection, or no?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have no plans to buy any extended warranty and will "self-insure", but after just reading through the adventures of a bmwtechnician I'm not sure I want to keep my F10 beyond tomorrow! :bawling: You gotta read some of the crap that happens to these BMW cars (not necessarily all F10s I might add). I don't know who the guy is that writes the blog, but his command of the English language leaves a bit to be desired, but it is a learning experience. :eek:

·
Registered
40 Posts
My factory warranty expires in January 2017. Then 2 years of CPO.

I've heard CPO is almost like the factory minus electronics. I need to research the CPO contract to determine if I'm also doing a third party warranty.

Based on my third party warranty research, it looks like route 66 can't be beat. I remember reading route 66 covering a $9500 job no questions asked.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did get a route66 quote and comparable term is almost double AAA.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
You really should consider waiting till the time of expiration of your current warranties is MUCH MUCH closer... like maybe 3 ish months away. You dont know if you will love the car, or it will be a lemon. You say you want to keep it now, but what if you find out that the new G series 5s are the best thing since sliced bread, and want one in 2-3 years? What if you get into an accident and total the car? What if the transmission blows up under warranty and they decide to total it?

Some of those options are a little far fetched, its true, but there is ZERO reason to buy a warranty right now for one that expires in 2-3 years. Make that decision when you are close to running out of your other warranties, either years or mileage.

There are too many ways to actually lose that warranty money, and not even get the benefit of the peace of mind it would provide... because you may not have the car for dozens of different reasons.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess my assumption was, it is $2200 for a reason, and that was because a good chunk of the coverage duration between now and 100k was covered by Factory, then CPO and AAA was secondary in line for responsibility. I will reanalyze. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One, hopefully final question on this: for something pre January 2014, where is CPO defined. I see pdf for post January 2014, but mine was delivered to original owner on Aug of 2013.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
One, hopefully final question on this: for something pre January 2014, where is CPO defined. I see pdf for post January 2014, but mine was delivered to original owner on Aug of 2013.
I think the date is for when the car was CPOed, not necessarily the model year of the car...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure about that. The transferable maintenance ability was based on original delivery, not when I purchased. Was thinking that approach was for everything.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Not sure about that. The transferable maintenance ability was based on original delivery, not when I purchased. Was thinking that approach was for everything.
You might want to check.... maintenance is definitely from the original date, but I am not sure on CPO dates as I dont own a CPO. I would check it though because the policies are not the same across the board.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I misread your post. The CPO warranty starts from in-service date; mine on my '12 expires @ 100K miles or 11/17.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I misread your post. The CPO warranty starts from in-service date; mine on my '12 expires @ 100K miles or 11/17.
Your thoughts were correct. What is covered under CPO post January 2014 is based upon when it was CPO'd, not when originally put in service new like the factory/maintenance. I called BMWUSA to verify. Thanks for that clarification.

The guy also stated that CPO is identical to platinum coverage (for 2 years more and up to 100k miles) found here:

file:///C:/Users/thaines/Downloads/BMW_03072_InsMatRevamp_PDF_BMW_M2%20(2).pdf

Is that true? I thought it was more like gold?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts