BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had some positive things to say about AAA Visa cards on this forum, well now I must partially retract. Yes, they do only charge the 1% Visanet currency exchange fee (i.e. no additional charge like many other cards), but my previous reports of the 5% auto fuel purchase rebate working for fuel purchases in Europe was premature.

I specifically asked before I got the card, at both AAA and MBNA (the issuer), if their card would reimburse for auto purchases made in Europe, and they said of course it would. Well, just got my second statement after my trip, and there is no credit for the first month's fuel purchases.

When I called, the rather polite associate told me "sorry, Sir, yes, we normally would have credited you 5% for those $450 in fuel purchases you made, but it seems you made those in Europe. And, no, we won't credit you the 5% for those, or the $200 more you made on the next statement." Of course I requested that they cancel the card and then had some fun seeing how well a shredder works on AAA platinum cards. Knowing MBNA, I suspect they'll not really cancel the card, and then they'll make me go through 5 departments and tons of pressure to reconsider before they really do cancel the friggin' thing. Oh well....

So I'm out about $32, thought I'd share that with you guys.

Anyone else out there have a AAA Visa or other card that offers cash back for fuel purchases and been stiffed for fuel purchases in Europe?

·
Travel Fever
2,745 Posts
Most credit cards would not do that even pumping at gas stations in Canada, mind that it was in Europe.

·
Powder Days
1,998 Posts
When I first read the thread title, I thought AAA was issuing travel visas in addition to International Drivers Permits. :yikes:

Cheers

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mason said:
Most credit cards would not do that even pumping at gas stations in Canada, mind that it was in Europe.
So, you've run into that problem in Canada too? Geez...

I was told as long as the Merchant Category Code indicated a fuel station purchase they'd cover it, no matter where it is. I'm in the credit card business, and when I heard the guy using terms such as MCC, I figured he knew what he was talking about. And there was no mention of US-only in any of their documentation, fine print or otherwise...

·
Travel Fever
2,745 Posts
bobped said:
So, you've run into that problem in Canada too? Geez...

I was told as long as the Merchant Category Code indicated a fuel station purchase they'd cover it, no matter where it is. I'm in the credit card business, and when I heard the guy using terms such as MCC, I figured he knew what he was talking about. And there was no mention of US-only in any of their documentation, fine print or otherwise...
But there is a fine print saying "participated" stations or shops only. There is no way for us to first ask if there is a participation then pump gas.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mason said:
But there is a fine print saying "participated" stations or shops only. There is no way for us to first ask if there is a participation then pump gas.
Your last post got me to thinking, so I did some digging and called them again. Here is the application form, which clearly states the rebate applies to any automated fuel dispenser worldwide, but also indicates only where MCC 5542 is used. That's the code for a pump where you pay right at the pump, as opposed to when you go inside to pay.

https://wwwn.applyonlinenow.com/USCCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=L2R9

Well, I found out from the "customer care" person I spoke with tonight that my transactions actually came through on MCC 5541, which is the code you get when you pay inside. And I do now recall that we did go inside to pay, probably every time. I guess they're doing that to ensure the purchase is fuel-related, otherwise you could get 5% off beer, soda, chips, whatever else you can buy inside the store itself.

The gal I spoke with yesterday indicated the reason they didn't give the rebate was because the purchase was in Europe, which pissed me off and led me to cancel my card. Had I been told it was because I didn't pay at the pump, I may have been mad, but I would not have blown up and shredded the cards, because I wouldn't have accused them of conspiring against me:).

Oh well, live and learn...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts