BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just off the phone with SA- dropped my 550 xi M sport, bx of a bubble/2 nd in 2 weeks/ and vibration @ 65-75 miles/hour
ALL FOUR RIMS ARE DAMAGED!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad: and require to be replaced!!!!!!!!!
I have T&R insurance from BMW/ best 1000 dollars i ever spend in my life/ but this is appalling and what is more appalling is COMPLETE ignorance and lack of knowledge from SA
He is a nice guy,m but 100 % clueless on the issue.
Anyway with rate i am going / 30 mo to go on my lease/ it will cost BMW 50-60K to replace 4rims/1-2 tires every 2 months
AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
So don't you guys think M sport wheels are more prone to damge since there are few arms in the wheel? I feel the 550IX regular sport wheels are stronger than M sport wheel and also the base 5 series wheels whihc have nicely spaced/lot number of arms
I think BMW needs to add a few potholes to their test tracks, that and the runflats just aren't designed to protect a wheel in any sort of impact (pothole).

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today, 11:44 AM

PaceBMW of Mamaroneck
Tri-state BMW dealer

Mein auto: Bimmer
View My Garage
gotta love the northeast. sorry to hear about the damage what road got you? 278? 95?

287/17/4/ mostly Bergen County, not even NYC

·
Registered
883 Posts
gotta love the northeast. sorry to hear about the damage :mad: what road got you? 278? 95?
No offense but as quoted from the BMW warranty:

"Your vehicle has been specifically adapted and designed to meet the particular operating conditions and homologation requirements in your country and continental region in order to deliver the full BMW driving pleasure while the vehicle is operated under those conditions."

It is simply a cop out if you're implying that my country and continental region were ignored when adapting and designing my vehicle just because the roads are allegedly bad. FWIW my first bubble was in VA and the other seven here in CT. (I don't venture far from home anymore in this car.) The roads aren't terrible here, but I agree they are less than perfect. Some have even said that my taxes aren't high enough, which produces bad roads, which results in failed BMW F10s.

This is rhetoric that I've heard from my SA and other BMW people so I assume that it is common BMW NA jargon. Needless to say it doesn't address the fact that BMW is selling a deficient vehicle. The solution is for BMW NA to offer a setup that works in my environment without excuses. As an example, an 18" wheel and tire option instead of being forced to take 19" wheels when you buy certain other options. I'm not sure that the 18" is any better, but it probably is. Whatever the answer is, BMW should have solved it by now.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I think BMW needs to add a few potholes to their test tracks, that and the runflats just aren't designed to protect a wheel in any sort of impact (pothole).
Check out the size of the Pothole and Impact Strip that Carbon Revolution has on the track for testing their wheels.

http://carbonrev.com/technology.html

It is near the bottom of the page. Just click on Pothole and Impact Stip.

Carbon Revolution uses a BMW M3 and Corvette C6 for on-road and on-track performance testing.

BMW should use the same track to test the runflats.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Check out the size of the Pothole and Impact Strip that Carbon Revolution has on the track for testing their wheels.

http://carbonrev.com/technology.html

It is near the bottom of the page. Just click on Pothole and Impact Stip.

Carbon Revolution uses a BMW M3 and Corvette C6 for on-road and on-track performance testing.

BMW should use the same track to test the runflats.
BMW should just move the development facilty to NY so they can start testing the wheels on public roads instead of building a special track :rofl:

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Just off the phone with SA- dropped my 550 xi M sport, bx of a bubble/2 nd in 2 weeks/ and vibration @ 65-75 miles/hour
ALL FOUR RIMS ARE DAMAGED!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad: and require to be replaced!!!!!!!!!
I have T&R insurance from BMW/ best 1000 dollars i ever spend in my life/ but this is appalling and what is more appalling is COMPLETE ignorance and lack of knowledge from SA
He is a nice guy,m but 100 % clueless on the issue.
Anyway with rate i am going / 30 mo to go on my lease/ it will cost BMW 50-60K to replace 4rims/1-2 tires every 2 months
AMAZING!!!!!!!!!
I don't understand why you are mad. :dunno:

Insurance is a bet. You bet you would have tire/rim damage by buying the insurance and you won. :thumbup:

From a risk management perspective, anyone on the east cost driving performance cars without tire and wheel insurance will pay dearly. It is just a matter of time.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
from risk management i made a right bet
but from waisting time position i am mad
my hour worth about 300 USD and waste it in a dealership seems to me quite ludicrous
next time around X5 with good tires or switch to MB or Audi

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
from risk management i made a right bet
but from waisting time position i am mad
my hour worth about 300 USD and waste it in a dealership seems to me quite ludicrous
next time around X5 with good tires or switch to MB or Audi
The X5/6 tires are just as fragile. Trust me I know. :eek:

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I don't understand why you are mad. :dunno:

Insurance is a bet. You bet you would have tire/rim damage by buying the insurance and you won. :thumbup:

From a risk management perspective, anyone on the east cost driving performance cars without tire and wheel insurance will pay dearly. It is just a matter of time.
Yes, from an insurance perspective my 3 new rims and 8 new tires =me a winner. But I have wasted more time in the last year getting them fixed than I should have in a few decades...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I hit a pothole and actually dented my tire (19" msport). The tire didn't get punctured or lose pressure, but you could see the dented sidewall. This created a nice vibration as I drove it in for service.

get this...no tires in stock. They informed me the car wasn't safe to drive, and I had to leave it until a replacement arrived.

I told them that this no-spare tire model is flawed.

They proceeded to inform me about the virtues of run flats, and how you can drive on them when punctured and it's BMWs philosophy.... Bla bla bla.

At which point I reminded them that I CANNOT DRIVE MY CAR HOME TONIGHT BECAUSE OF A "FLAT" TIRE.

The model is flawed.

I too bought 5yr tire/wheel insurance for $1k. I already recovered half that in 6 months. Good to have the coverage... Bad that I need it, and have to deal with these hassles.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I too have bent a couple and cracked one of my OEM 17 inch rims on bad roads. I have considered buying a set of 16 or even 15 inch rims to use for winter. In the early '90s most of the BMWs came with smaller wheels with more tire between the rim and the road and these problems were not common. I think the problem is driven by the high demand from the customers (us) for the cool looking low profile tires. They do handle much better but simply can't take the abuse the higher profile tires can.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.