BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking around the forum for a while now looking at all the positives and negatives with the car. Currently I'm looking at a 04 745i sports package with 58k on the clock asking for 21.9 with a clean history. I dont plan on paying the asking price and I'm also looking into getting an aftermarket warranty for the car.

Should I get a non bias mechanic to take a look at it or should I take it to a bmw mechanic or both?

Any other things I should be look out now or near future that seems to be a common problem. I'm looking to purchase probably this weekend if everything turns out.

Thanks for all the input...

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
O4 should be trouble free however they all have thier days when something goes wrong, it doesnt matter if it's 02 or 08. Take it to a BMW Indi and have them check every thing and try to obtain prior history service for the car. The more stuff changed the less you gonna have to spend on reparing such items, Shop around and dont settle for the first car you found. Good luck and thats my 0.02

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive been searching for the past month or so and this one looks the best so far. Thanx for your input greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
O4 should be trouble free however they all have thier days when something goes wrong, it doesnt matter if it's 02 or 08. Take it to a BMW Indi and have them check every thing and try to obtain prior history service for the car. The more stuff changed the less you gonna have to spend on reparing such items, Shop around and dont settle for the first car you found. Good luck and thats my 0.02
this is the best advice you'll get. so many will tell you if the car has a long list of repairs, then stay away. its the exact opposite with this car. the more that has been corrected, the better off you are. its not a question of if things will break, the question is when will they break.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good lookin out...diznik your whip is clean not too much...Im lovin the spoilers and the exhaust...

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
thanks. where are you in CA? car may be for sale soon. 50k miles and under warranty until 75k miles or 2014 (whichever comes first).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Currently im in Atlanta but im moving back to bay area in august just finished my undergrad last may and im in grad school now about to start campus classes in the city...

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Ive been searching for the past month or so and this one looks the best so far. Thanx for your input greatly appreciated...
I looked for just over 2 months before I found the one I bought. Definitely make sure it's the right car for you, not something you want to have regrets about.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Good lookin out...diznik your whip is clean not too much...Im lovin the spoilers and the exhaust...
one of the best whips of the Vet of E65/E66 members. :thumbup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Excellent mileage and reasonable price. Take it to an independent BMW mechanic and if it checks out, snap it up. My 2007 750i has been a dream since I got it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just look out for oil leaks from the alternator area. Got faster until i needed a new alternator... traded my 04 but other than that the car was perfect.

·
Registered
497 Posts
take car to bmw dealer pay them 150.00 to do inspection on car and they will tell u if anything is wrong with the car them go from there

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I have a 2004 745i also. Overall it has been good but get it checked by a BMW dealer. They will be able to tell you what work has been done on it and what it needs if anything. Mine has 71k now and I bought it with 30k. The transmission was replaced under warranty. This would have cost $7000 without the warranty. Get a warranty unless the car has had a lot of work done to it already and you can do future repairs yourself. Don't be afraid of the repairs but you should budget to have some. Awesome car but plan on paying more than a usual car to drive. I would trade nothing for mine.....other than a 2010 :)

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
2 Posts
Get it and definitely get the warranty. Great car but can be a shop puppy. I have a 2004 745i and we have the ultimate love hate relationship going right now!!

·
It's all about me!
1,519 Posts
OP your getting lots of good advice here.

Seems like 2004's are a pretty solid car, but have it checked out for sure. The miles and the price sound good....

·
BIGWALK
34 Posts
make a list of anything you think might be a problem and have them fix it, definitely have a mechanic look it over with a fine tooth, when it comes to the stereo if you here any cracking or static you need to get a L7 amp maybe the ASK unit replaced, try to let it get cold as possible and start it up and drive just to make sure it does not hesitate switching gears. I have an 04 760 and I have had minimum issues, the biggest money I spent was the darn L7 amp and ASK unit:mad:

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
When i had my 04 it was pretty good, i had alot of stuff replaced under warr, I sold it at 44k miles, the person that boufght it from me now has about 65-70k miles and i think the only thing they replaced was an alternator and i believe the warr also replaced the fuel pump.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts