BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to install a new fuel filter on a 2003 530i.
It's a Hengst with the 4 nipples .
One nipple is for a Vacuum line off the integral fuel pressure regulator.
I would like to have all the necessary items before I begin the project.

I know that I will need hose claps and hoses.
The fuel lines are supposed to be high pressure lines?

Any tricks or warnings?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Take pics of the old ones orientation and buy new fuel injection clamps, don't use worm gear clamps! Take your time too, it's straight forward but gas will spill so have a container ready.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a search.
I wrote fuel filter installation in the search box.
The threads which appear are numerous but appear because they contain:
the word....fuel or filter or installation or a combination.
I was looking at threads on air filters.
It would have taken forever to glean the info that I am looking for.
Diameter of hoses.
Specific type of hose and info on clamps like eparayno just posted.

·
It's Bimmer, not BEEEEMER
462 Posts
Take pics of the old ones orientation and buy new fuel injection clamps, don't use worm gear clamps! Take your time too, it's straight forward but gas will spill so have a container ready.
Someone on the e38 board suggested pulling the fuel pump fuse and letting the car burn the fuel in the line to reduce the spillage. Not sure if that causes any harm though.

When I did mine, I just had plastics hose clamps (like lightweight vice grips), but I still sprayed quite a bit of fuel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
This thread might help: Fuel filter 2001 530i DIY. For particulars, check out post #30.

For future reference, if you're looking for a specific phrase, such as "fuel filter," enclose it in quotes in the search box. That way, you won't get results for air filters.

·
Registered
15,576 Posts
The hose is 8 mm. Good idea to replace the nipples.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I recently replaced mine. Reading the previously posted thread helped a lot. It won't spill a bunch of gas, filters are directional and should have an arrow that will point towards the front of the car when installed (at least mine did), pretty easy job. Took me about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I did mine just a couple of weeks ago. You do want fuel injector hose - for my '99 it was 5/16" (or 8mm). You can get an 18" piece prepackaged at Advance Auto for about $8. They also have the appropriate fuel injector hose clamps for about $3 (for 4). I did pull the fuel pump fuse and let the engine die, which resulted in very little residual pressure - leaked fuel is kept to a minimum (just don't let the old filter drain). The hardest part of the job was getting the old hose off the metal lines. Also be sure to observe the direction of the fuel flow.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Here are my notes for 2000 528iT, which is similar:
Replace Fuel Filter
Parts:
***8226; Fuel Filter (13321709535) ($56.99 from FCP Euro)
***8226; 10-Expanding rivets (51118174185) ($0.39 from BMW dealer)
***8226; 1-foot fuel injector hose 8mm ID X 13mm OD (NOT fuel line hose) (16121180409) ($7.50 from Ultimate Garage)
***8226; 6-12mm-15mm hose clamps (07129952104) (304SS #15 for $1.60 ea. from Ultimate Garage)
***8226; 1-foot vacuum line 3.5mm X 7.5mm black silicone (11727545323-1) ($5.95 from FCP Euro) Thinner than BMW. BMW might be 3.5mm X 8mm. Try to get BMW next time
DIY:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/foru...ilter-at-120k-(Plus-extensive-DIY-with-photos)
Notes:
***8226; Clean nipples carefully so no debris gets in hoses
***8226; After install, turn ignition to accessory to pressurize BEFORE reinstalling panel to check for leaks!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all.
I did not pull the fuses and let the engine die because that is the last thing I want to do.
Seems like creating trouble.
You never want a car to run out of gas.
There is very little gas under pressure and it poses no threat.
As it turned out there was a date and milage written on the fuel filter.
I had been given a few years of service records but this was not present.
The filter had been changed exactly one year and 15,000 miles ago.
The hoses looked fine so I reused them.
Slipped them back on with some silicon grease and all is good,
Check the fuel pressure after the install.
Holding steady at 56 psi.
Dropped to 49 psi when the engine off and held steady: no leaks in hoses or fuel injectors.
Engine still idle rough on star up #5 cylinder misfire...warms up and smooths out.
Can not seem to fix it,

·
Registered
566 Posts
Someone on the e38 board suggested pulling the fuel pump fuse and letting the car burn the fuel in the line to reduce the spillage. Not sure if that causes any harm though.

When I did mine, I just had plastics hose clamps (like lightweight vice grips), but I still sprayed quite a bit of fuel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I pulled the fuse when I did mine. I didn't notice anything negative. Just make sure to prime the fuel pump a few times when you're ready to start to build up pressure.

Don't forget safety glasses.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thanks to all.
I did not pull the fuses and let the engine die because that is the last thing I want to do.
Dropped to 49 psi when the engine off and held steady: no leaks in hoses or fuel injectors.
Engine still idle rough on star up #5 cylinder misfire...warms up and smooths out.
Can not seem to fix it,
Are you getting an codes .... Your fuel pressure is fine ..... #5 cylinder may need a replacement plug, coil, boot , wire, etc. sounds ..... Have you looked at #5 spark plug " hole" for oil?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
use fuel injector hose not gas line
Why fuel injector hose as opposed to gas line/hose? Would seem to me that 'normal' fuel/gas line would be adequate assuming it's got sufficient pressure rating. The filter and it's flexible lines are located under the car, not subjected to continuous high temperatures as are the case with hoses in the engine compartment, so high temperature capability would not appear to be a issue.

Perhaps I'm missing something here?

Thanks/Bill

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
Why fuel injector hose as opposed to gas line/hose? Would seem to me that 'normal' fuel/gas line would be adequate assuming it's got sufficient pressure rating. The filter and it's flexible lines are located under the car, not subjected to continuous high temperatures as are the case with hoses in the engine compartment, so high temperature capability would not appear to be a issue.

Perhaps I'm missing something here?

Thanks/Bill
I think the concern is the pressure rating. As you implied, fuel injected lines operate at higher pressure than lines that feed carburetors. Maybe vendors would automatically sell you fuel-injection grade hose, but it's good to check.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Thanks to all.
Can not seem to fix it,
Removing the fuel pump fuse and letting the engine die has absolutely zero negative consequences. Its standard practice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts