BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all. I’m just about to finalize a deal for a 2011 535ix for my sons 18th birthday. 130k on the odometer. Clean CarFax. Car is in great shape. $8500. How does that number sound to all y’all? Anything other than the fuel pump that I have to watch out for with this yr/model?
Looking forward to chatting with y’all about
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Bimmer stuff.
Thanks

· Registered
2000 528it, 2015 435i, 2016 435ix GC
894 Posts
Nice looking car! I think this has the N55 engine. You should do a search for maintenance items to watch out for. Short list is electric water pump, charge pipe, coolant flange, oil filter housing gasket. Its a great engine, but you have to open up the hood and check on things once a week, especially at this mileage.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m familiar with everything you mentioned except charge pipe. I don’t think I’ve ever heard that term. What is it and what goes wrong with it?
Also, thanks for the response and the help. I’ll make sure to check on those items before I sign for it. Also, I’m getting a 2/24 warranty at no cost along with it. ($500 deductible)

· Registered
2015 535i M-Sport
820 Posts
I’m familiar with everything you mentioned except charge pipe. I don’t think I’ve ever heard that term. What is it and what goes wrong with it?
"Charge pipes are a common discussion on turbo BMW engines. The charge pipe (CP) is partly responsible for carrying charge air (or boosted air) to the engine. Unfortunately, BMW's N55 engine uses a plastic charge pipe. The N55 charge pipe is prone to cracking and popping off at higher than stock boost levels."

· Registered
2000 528it, 2015 435i, 2016 435ix GC
894 Posts
The charge pipe going from intercooler to throttle body is the most prone to deterioration. It can be replaced with an aluminum aftermarket pipe. There are several makers. I installed one from VRSF.

On my 2016 we found that the turbo inlet pipe had cracked at about 55k miles. It gets exposed to heat from the turbo and exhaust manifold. Turner Motorsport makes a good aftermarket part also made of aluminum.

Between our two cars with the N55 I have replaced all of the pipes myself with aftermarket. It is a technically easy DIY, but you need to be patient and take your time. There are lots of YouTube videos out there on the procedure. Kies motorsports has a good one. Of course you can always buy the parts and take them to a tech who is familiar with BMWs.

· Registered
448 Posts
CarFax has a lot of notes on service history since new. Notes stopped around 2018. Glove compartment has dozens of oil change receipts. That’s a decent sign, at least.
It's not a perfect service history but it isn't terrible... I think you should call the mechanics that have done the oil changes in the last few years to see if they recognise this car, get a Bluetooth scan tool on your phone is fine to scan for codes, and get a third party pre purchase inspection if you're very interested...

· Registered
2015 BMW 535i
420 Posts
get a third party pre purchase inspection if you're very interested...
This is the best advice! Make sure you get a mechanic that will be able to read BMW specific Error Memory Codes. As with any used car, I would also do a compression check on the cylinders.
At 130k miles, you're a bit at the mercy of how diligent the previous owners were with preventative maintenance & timely repairs. Your post purchase financial investment into the car could be relatively minimal or it could be significant.

Car is in great shape. $8500. How does that number sound to all y’all?
18 months ago I was looking at used 535s w/ 100k+ miles and they were all going for $12k+

Anything other than the fuel pump that I have to watch out for with this yr/model?
As with any used car, I'd plan on changing all the fluids & filters (engine oil, transmission oil, differential, transfer case, brake, coolant, power steering). Some of those aren't as "necessary" as others, but I like to have a solid known point for future service schedule (especially when previous services are unknown).

Check for Oil Filter Housing Gasket leaks (OFHG) as this oil leak should be fixed quickly.
Check to see if the transmission as ever been serviced (filter/pan & fluid change) as this is one of those items where BMW identifies as "lifetime fluid"; however, the manufacturer recommends servicing in the 50k-60k mile range.
Check for battery age/condition.
Check the driveshaft flex disc (Guibo) - this is the weakest link and is know to crack.

If/When you replace the water pump, consider replacing the coolant flange (i.e. the mickey mouse flange) with an aluminum aftermarket (they're cheap). Heck, all the hoses and thermostat too.

If/When you replace the serpentine belt, tensioner, & pulley, consider adding an aftermarket Crank Seal Guard w/ Crank Bolt Capture.

Hey y’all. I’m just about to finalize a deal for a 2011 535ix for my sons 18th birthday
That's a pretty awesome gift! Happy Birthday to your son & congratulations to you Dad!!!

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Upper rear differential bushing. One crack in the rubber is OK, 2 cracks and it needs replaced. Also, I hate to mention it but connecting rod bearings are a weak point at high mileage. Lots of stuff online about that. My wife's 2013 X5 with an N55 spun a bearing at about 110,000 and I changed the oil at half of the BMW recommended interval.

· Registered
2003 530i rear drive 5speed manual
229 Posts
Extremely fast car for an 18yr old . The rate of acceleration and top end . Just sayin

· Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
9,921 Posts
Apparently depreciation is pretty fast too.
How can you validate "fast depreciation" for a 12-year-old car with 130K miles? Who knows what the original MSRP was, or the desire of the seller to "get rid of it" at what they consider a decent price?

Reactions: Bimmer3er

· Registered
82 Posts
I'd start him off in a 1970s diesel Benz
I have the same idea - giving my kid the 1990s Benz 300E with 80k miles. But she’s smart enough to say she wants to drive a manual, so I’m afraid she will eventually take over my wife’s weekend car - 2013 128i with 13k miles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts