BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Phlyers Phan
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have pics /experience tinting their windows different % for the drivers/passenger side windows (i'm thinking 50%) but doing the rears darker (i'm thinking 35%)? I park in an open parking lot all day and have a good sunshade for the windshield but would like protection for the sides/rear and my black leather interior. I was contemplating doing 50% all around, but wondered if that would be not effective enough overall.

I live in philly and it gets pretty damn hot in the summers. 95 degrees easily.

I don't want to get 35% all around b/c that's too pimpin for my tastes. if i got 35 for the rears and 50 the front would the difference be readily visable and look awkward?

any experiences? suggestions?

·
Registered
144 Posts
palooka666 said:
anyone have pics /experience tinting their windows different % for the drivers/passenger side windows (i'm thinking 50%) but doing the rears darker (i'm thinking 35%)? I park in an open parking lot all day and have a good sunshade for the windshield but would like protection for the sides/rear and my black leather interior. I was contemplating doing 50% all around, but wondered if that would be not effective enough overall.

I live in philly and it gets pretty damn hot in the summers. 95 degrees easily.

I don't want to get 35% all around b/c that's too pimpin for my tastes. if i got 35 for the rears and 50 the front would the difference be readily visable and look awkward?

any experiences? suggestions?
Palooka-

Actually, I live in Philly and had just about the exact same setup you are considering (on my last car, a 328i). My tint levels if I remeber correctly were 33% rear and 45% sides, and I was very happy with the results. Keeping in mind that I had a black car with black interior, which tends make the tints look darker, the results were a rear window that was fairly hard to see through (from outside), and sides that definitely appeared tinted but which you could see through with no problem.

This tint level really helped with keeping the car cool, and yet never attracted any police attention. I think the car looked great, without too much pimpiosity :bigpimp: . This picture gives a good indication of how the sides looked (don't have any of the back).

If I was going to do it again (I'm probably not going to bother with my convertible), I'd probably go with 45% all around. I think 33% all around would be a bit much for my tastes, at least on an all black car (also, I'd be a little concerned with police attention at that level). 33% rear, and 45% sides was a pretty good set up, but the extra tinting on the back probably wasn't necessary.

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's the place. They did a nice job, and the tinting comes with a lifetime-of-the-car guarantee.

As far as pictures of the new car, I don't have a digital camera. I took a couple of shots with my Dad's camera once, but my parents haven't figured out how to email pictures yet (they have a new Apple, and apparently need to get it hooked up to a DSL before their OS will send pics). In theory, he'll be able to send pics shortly, and I'll get them posted.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have 38% all around tint, and it is just about perfect - keeps the interior cool, does NOT look pimpish at all, and adds a nice touch to the appearance. Just stay away from the mirror tint.

·
600 Posts
since california law doesn't really allow for tint on the fronts, I went with 50/20% front/rear hoping it would be less obvious. with a black/black car, I must say the difference (between front and rear) is not as noticeable as I thought it would be.

since ideally I would prefer the same % all around, I don't mind how it turned out.

so to answer your question, you'd be able to tell a difference with 50/35 but I don't think it'll be THAT obvious. I think 50 all around WOULD make a difference but when it comes heat prevention, the more the better.

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
Dan said:
I have 38% all around tint, and it is just about perfect - keeps the interior cool, does NOT look pimpish at all, and adds a nice touch to the appearance. Just stay away from the mirror tint.
Agreed. Just had the Formula One "Millenium" 38% film put all around on my car, and love it.

It was a little more expensive than regular film, but I HATE the look of cheap/faded/purple/blistering tint, and figured I'd splurge for the good stuff accordingly.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Plaz said:

Agreed. Just had the Formula One "Millenium" 38% film put all around on my car, and love it.

It was a little more expensive than regular film, but I HATE the look of cheap/faded/purple/blistering tint, and figured I'd splurge for the good stuff accordingly.
Plaz: I have the same exact Formula One tint that you just got. It has been on for 3 years now, and I have had zero problems with it. Of course, it also helps to have it applied by a shop that knows what they're doing.

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
Dan said:

Plaz: I have the same exact Formula One tint that you just got. It has been on for 3 years now, and I have had zero problems with it. Of course, it also helps to have it applied by a shop that knows what they're doing.
Thanks... that's good to hear! I went with a highly recommended shop, and it appears to have been applied masterfully.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Plaz said:

Thanks... that's good to hear! I went with a highly recommended shop, and it appears to have been applied masterfully.
Plaz,
Which place did you go? (you can e-mail if you don't want to post publically). I plan on getting mine done this weekend and I'm looking for a place that can deal with the rear window issue successfully (the little dots at the top).

Anyone who has suggestions, please let me know.

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
DSinSoCal said:

Plaz,
Which place did you go? (you can e-mail if you don't want to post publically). I plan on getting mine done this weekend and I'm looking for a place that can deal with the rear window issue successfully (the little dots at the top).

Anyone who has suggestions, please let me know.
I went to A-Pro Tint on Santa Monica Blvd., on the north side of the street, about three buildings west of Barrington. They did great work -- but beware -- they are definitely pricey.

I can see gaps with the dots... I think there's only so much any tint shop can do with those, no matter how good they are... but it looks pretty consistent all the way around, and that's what matters most, IMO.

It looks much better now that it's had a couple of days to cure, too.

·
Lead Foot
442 Posts
Tint Manufacturer

I selected Llumar for my last 528i. Seemed to get a bit cloudy after 5 years or so. You are mentioning a different brand. Have you experienced any long term trial with it? One other thing. Will tinting rear window lessen strength of GPS for Nav system? Better yet will it give the dealer an excuse for weak signals.? Thanks, posts on this subject very informative.

·
Registered
258 Posts
VtT said:
The tint make the back window looks kinda burry right? Like at night when the light shine into.
Sort of - the tint reduces the clarity of vision somewhat at night, but it is not a problem. I would not go so far as to say blurry - it is just not as crystal clear as a non-tinted back window when other headlites shine through. I noticed it the first few times I drove at night, now I don't give it a second thought.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts