BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Originally I had an intermittent problem with this. But now the ABS, BRAKE, 4x4 LEDs seem to be on permanently and the speedometer in the dash is not moving at all.
However when I hook up the OBD2 scanner it reads my speed just fine.

Prior to the error lights being on all the time I used to be able to drive the car for a random amount of time before they would come on. When they came on the speedometer moved around erratically. In some cases the error lights would go off as I continued to drive and the speedometer would continue to work again. Sometimes it would be the whole day or it might come on after 15 minutes.

I believe the issue became permanent after going through a undercarriage pressure wash/carwash, and now the speedometer doesn't move at all it just stays at zero.

I'm using a Veepaek OBD2 scanner but I can't seem to get any codes other than for engine check. I don't know if the scanner can pick up on those codes or if I need a different app on my phone (or a different scanner).

I thought maybe something was shorted from the pressure wash but why would the OBD2 scanner be able to tell me my speed if that was true? Also the cruise control STILL works! Very confusing.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
This sounds like a communication issue between the instrument cluster and the ABS module. If you can get your hands on a BMW specific scan tool to read codes from those modules it will help tremendously in solving this problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This sounds like a communication issue between the instrument cluster and the ABS module. If you can get your hands on a BMW specific scan tool to read codes from those modules it will help tremendously in solving this problem.
I did actually order one this morning. It'll be here in a few days. What's odd is that the generic OBD2 scanner reads my speed just fine as I'm driving and it doesn't even fluctuate at all... I checked my fuses this morning and they're all good too. And the cruise control still works...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.