BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys has anyone experienced their ABS kicking in when the car Is moving at a snails pace. I have 98 318i no dash warning lights. Is it the ABS? Tried searching the site. Any ideas beemers?thanks boovy.

·
I feed trolls
4,976 Posts
+1 to wheel speed sensor. Thats the only thing telling the DME how fast that wheel is moving, whether it has traction, and whether its locked or rolling. Faulty one of these bad boys will fake out your DME, then the DME will do what its supposed to when it detects a wheel locking up, which is why the ABS is kicking on. Should be ~50 bucks, couldnt hurt to replace. Start saving your swear words though, you will need them when you try to deal with rusty nuts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the exact same issue, along with the ASC and ABS lights coming on and the whole traction control and ABS system cutting out. Turned out to be the brake pedal travel sensor mounted on the brake booster. Expensive sensor but a pretty easy fix... It took me almost a year, 4 wheel speed sensors and a brake light switch before it was finally fixed for good.

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
The brake pedal travel sensor can actually be repaired too, it is expensive which is why I decided to fix it myself, pain in the butt to take out because of the metal ring like clip around it, and even more of a pain in the butt to take the thing apart. I haven't had any issues since so I must have done okay. And yes be careful when unscrewing the bolts that hold in the wheel speed sensors, one of mine was was seized and the bolt snapped leaving the other end in the hole. I had to take a very tiny drill bit to drill a hole through broken bolt, and I progressed to larger and larger bits until I got as big as I could without drilling the threads in the hole. I then had to go to a hardware store to buy a matching tap, which I used to get out the threads left behind from the old bolt. It sucked, but my plan worked beautifully.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.