BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My car has suddenly begun to display 3 lights on the dashboard (please see pic below). First time these have come on since I purchased the car 3 months ago. Weirdly my cruise control does not work either since the lights have come on? I had no idea cruise control had any connection to ABS if any. Could someone please have a look at the lights and tell me what the potential causes of them could be and how it is connected to the cruise control not working anymore.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Attachments

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
My car has suddenly begun to display 3 lights on the dashboard (please see pic below). First time these have come on since I purchased the car 3 months ago. Weirdly my cruise control does not work either since the lights have come on? I had no idea cruise control had any connection to ABS if any. Could someone please have a look at the lights and tell me what the potential causes of them could be and how it is connected to the cruise control not working anymore.
Cruise control won't operate if there is a problem with abs/dsc. It turns off if the system detects a skid or hydroplane event, too.

You have some sort of problem with some component of the abs/dsc system. It could be anything from a wheel-speed sensor, to the abs pump. Get the OBD codes read.

·
Registered
193 Posts
+1 on OBD codes. They will tell you where the problem could lie.

Had the same issue last week with the same set of lights on the dash, turned out the Rear Right ABS Sensor wiring had been bitten off by rodents. Fixed them back and the car is back in shape now.

Do you get the error immediately after you crank up or when you start moving?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I'll definitely have the obd codes read this morning as I have a part service due.

The lights appear immediately after starting the engine and I have started to experience a sort of skipping of the breaks where can I hear an almost cranking sound when I gently touch the breaks. This only happens within the first few seconds of moving off and then it seems normal..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I went this morning to In and Out Centre in Basildon. The mechanic there said that the ABS light was probably due to the sensor not being bolted down and subsequently leaving too much of an 'air gap'. He then went to bolt it down saying this most likely will fix the issue. I drove out of the centre and the lights had gone and cruise control was working again, within a minute the lights turned back on and CC stopped again.. nightmare

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The latest - having parked at work for 8 hours following the visit to the service centre, I fired up the car and pulled off and the car was making a loud banging sound coming from underneath of the car, this was accompanied by severe jerking. At this point only the triangle with ! light was flashing and none of the others were on. As I exceeded around 30 mph I felt something click in to place and all the lights (as pictured) came back on and the car drove normally. Help!

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
The latest - having parked at work for 8 hours following the visit to the service centre, I fired up the car and pulled off and the car was making a loud banging sound coming from underneath of the car, this was accompanied by severe jerking. At this point only the triangle with ! light was flashing and none of the others were on. As I exceeded around 30 mph I felt something click in to place and all the lights (as pictured) came back on and the car drove normally. Help!
Whelp, the "In and Out" wouldn't be my first choice. Known out here as a drive-thru purveyer of roadside burgers, well, might not be that diff --- you need a BMW Indy or [¡Muy expensivo!] a BMW dealer.

[HERE] is what's needed to read what your car's stored error codes. Print 'em out, clear all codes; drive. When issure re-appears, read those fresh codes - whatcha got?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Visited local mechanic this morning, cranked the car up and told me to rev in gear, he said that the rear axle needs to be replaced..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts