BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
On my 22nd bimmer
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 528i, abs and tcs lights have been coming on intermittently.. Couple of days ago the check engine light also came on... Would the abs and tcs condition trigger the cel??? Planning on getting a rebuilt module but not sure if it will resolve the cel... I'm in N.Y. And of course the car is due for inspection in April. Cel= fail...!!!

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Guess you dont have a code reader. Get one..
Is your battery fully charged?

·
On my 22nd bimmer
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My generic scanner shows p0500, speed sensor... Needs BMW specific scanner... Just asking a question.. Battery is new a month ago...

·
Registered
15,608 Posts
P0500 caused the CEL to be set. This is a generic readout for a sensor inside the transmission. You'll need a BMW-specific tool to determine which one, although it may be the output shaft sensor.

Reactions: tomwas

·
On my 22nd bimmer
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I have an appointment with an indie shop on Monday...

·
Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 195 K miles
1,737 Posts
Most likely, a bad speed sensor.
Try to clean up the speed sensors and ABS sensors connectors -located in the wells of the wheels-, and see if that fixes the problem.

But definitely, you'd need a BMW specific scanner to get the exact error codes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Assuming it is a speed sensor; you need a scan tool that will be able to show some BMW data, in this case speed as reported by all sensors. Then lift the car in the air and rotate the wheels, see what the scan tool shows. One might be stuck, reporting weird/erratically/nothing/have a dead spot. Don't just blindly buy a module, although those do go bad on E39 quite often.

·
Wingnut
4,116 Posts
the DME will give a p0500 thats not necessarily a trans issue if the car is driven for a while with the ABS DSC lites on. its a cumulative error from it not getting speed info.

·
Under the lift arms
13,092 Posts
you cant guess here..

buy your self a NT510 scan tool (*the schawben tool)

its good for all makes and models, not just BMW so consider it a investment option

it can hold and store up to 4 or 5 different makes at the same time, as long as you buy those other options

FOR what its worth.. buying the scan tool will be cheaper then the visit to the local shop, and the 2nd time you use it, it will pay for it self

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
About scan tools, if you are a bit computer savvy, and if you have a Windows laptop, your best and cheapest bet is INPA.
It is a free software that runs on Windows, and requires an INPA cable that costs about $30, to connect the laptop to the car. Check it out...

·
On my 22nd bimmer
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went to The indie shop, after 45 minutes diagnosing.. The office guy says our BMW scanner is in use, had to use our general scanner, got the same result I did, p0500... Spoke to another guy I know that is a ten year tech at BMW... His first suggestion was the abs module. I Went with that, sent mine off for rebuild knowing I had a bad multi pin connector... Autoecu in West Palm told me it could not be rebuilt, tested and warranted... Rebuild would have been $170 total... They sent me a "new" rebuilt unit, I installed it with my six torx screws I had previously removed... Started the car , abs and tcs lights went off, after third start up CEL went off, has been fine since... Car is due for N.Y. Inspection this month.... So glad to have my e39 back in good health... Unit cost about $400 shipped and has a year warranty... Very satisfied with this company's service and product, highly recommended... They are on eBay... Car is a 99 528i msport with 146k miles, love my e39

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
It would or could have been less costly to find a similar used ABS module from a junkyard or eBay.
Then it is plug-and-play, No coding needed if it is the same part #.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A rebuild unit (with warranty) will probably work a lot longer than a used module, which is not even tested. Sometimes is better to buy once than twice. My.02

·
On my 22nd bimmer
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
It would or could have been less costly to find a similar used ABS module from a junkyard or eBay.
local yard would only sell the complete abs assembly, which I told them was ridiculous because I only needed the module... If mine was rebuildable it would have been nice... $400 was a small investment as far as I'm concerned... Have been back and forth between N.Y. And NC numerous times with this highway cruiser, great car. Modern classic

·
Wingnut
4,116 Posts
not so on the plug and play....the stored mileage and VIN is of no issue, but trans type will give an immediate equipment error code and the tri or bifecta depending on Y/M

1 - 15 of 15 Posts