BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My AC compressor on my 07 530xi is making some funky noises, and I think the pulley bearing is toast.

Instead of replacing the entire compressor, I'm going to order just the pulley assembly and try to get that on. Unfortunately, I've only found the part available in Europe... for the time being I'd like to bypass the AC Compressor.

I know these cars weren't sold without AC, so there's no "OEM" method, but has anyone else done this? Trying to do it the easy way without having to measure out the "alternative route". Anyone? :)

I'm thinking of doing what is shown below. Blue is the current routing, red is what I'm thinking.I guess I can use the "piece of rope" method to measure a new belt.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Went out with a piece of packing band and measured it -- comes to about 43 inches, and I scoped out a 43.11inch belt from Advance Auto that seems like it will fit. I'll update when I get it on.

Next step is ordering pulley/bearing for the compressor.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Been there, done that over 100000kms ago and still running. Have a look at my past posts for details. If I had to do it over again, I might use a belt that is 1/2" longer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're the man! Glad to know it can be done.

The 43.11 inch belt I used didn't quite make it. Looks like the part number you used (ACDelco6K431) is 43.16. So I'll grab the next size up tomorrow and give it another shot.

Never went on to replace the pulley itself, eh?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
The bearing on my AC pulley rattled apart and left me stranded 75 km from home. Fortunately, I had CAA gold plan so they towed me home, no charge. I was able to get the belt the next day and was rollin by the afternoon.

To replace the pulley, I would need to remove the compressor, as the bolt is too corroded to move. All the videos I have seen, dude has it clamped in a vise, so YMMV. I don't really need AC, as wd40 works almost as well......

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good news -- I was able to get a belt on in the config I posted above -- ended up using a Dayco 6 rib, 43.11 inch (effective length) belt.

Specifically:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-by-dayco-poly-rib-belt-5060431/20060933-P

It WAS a bit of a stretch, but it managed, and no strange noises yet.

Going to work on getting the pulley replaced -- summers are kind of warm here, so it'd be nice to have. Think I can get a belt strap pulley wrench on the pulley, crank the shaft with a 7mm, and somehow work the rest of it out.

I'll keep it updated when I get there!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Good news -- I was able to get a belt on in the config I posted above -- ended up using a Dayco 6 rib, 43.11 inch (effective length) belt.

Specifically:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-by-dayco-poly-rib-belt-5060431/20060933-P

It WAS a bit of a stretch, but it managed, and no strange noises yet.

Going to work on getting the pulley replaced -- summers are kind of warm here, so it'd be nice to have. Think I can get a belt strap pulley wrench on the pulley, crank the shaft with a 7mm, and somehow work the rest of it out.

I'll keep it updated when I get there!
Not sure but the bolt holding the pulley might be a left hand thread, i.e. not righty-tighty, lefty-loosey but the reverse....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I did it!

I was able to replace the AC compressor pulley without removing the compressor from the car. I gave myself some extra room by removing the radiator fan, but the rest of the job was straight forward.

I grabbed the old pulley with a pair of vice grips, and put a large ratchet on the 7mm nut on the compressor. A little bit of playing with it broke it loose. Once the center "clutch" piece was off, I pulled the snap ring off the compressors nose then beat the pulley up a little with a hammer until the bearing came loose.

Cleaned the shaft and nose of the compressor up a little. I popped the pulley snapped in the retaining clip. Then, with a drop of oil I was able to just turn the pulley to tighten the "clutch" onto the shaft. Tightened it back up with the ratchet.

The old bearing was totally shot. Both seals had completely fallen off and it was missing a few of the ball bearings. Now, good as new!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was able to match it up with the model number on the compressor, 7SEU17C and counted the grooves on the pulley. Mind had 6.

I searched eBay for "7SEU17C 6 groove" and spent something like $80 for the whole assembly. Should come with just the one snap-ring, the "clutch" with bushings, and the pulley itself... I can't get my eBay history via mobile.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did this bypass on my E90 06 325i. Tried the dayco 5060431 belt and found it to be impossible to get on. Found a bigger belt dayco 5060436 and fit perfectly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
nice job, mine is 2006 530 XI, same problem, the pulley of AC compressor is roasted but the shaft is moving smoothly. I will try to change the pulley if not a success, go bypass, thank you for sharing, I will go grab a 43.11" belts for bypass in case.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Here's a trick to help it go on easier. Soak the belt in a sink full of hot water for 20 - 30 minutes in advance of installation. The belt will be more flexible, slightly longer and will not have the folds in it from being in the cardboard sleeve. An extra pair of hands is also helpful in getting it over the pulleys.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I threaded it around the smallest pulleys first. Alternator, Idler, power steering then over the crankshaft pulley. At that point, I took the T-60 Torx on the end of a 3 foot breaker bar and cranked the tensioner out of the way. My assistant then popped the belt under the tensioner pulley and it was done. The only things left to do was put the rad fan back in place, snap the various hoses into the holders and complete the reassembly of the cowling.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I did it!

I was able to replace the AC compressor pulley without removing the compressor from the car. I gave myself some extra room by removing the radiator fan, but the rest of the job was straight forward.

I grabbed the old pulley with a pair of vice grips, and put a large ratchet on the 7mm nut on the compressor. A little bit of playing with it broke it loose. Once the center "clutch" piece was off, I pulled the snap ring off the compressors nose then beat the pulley up a little with a hammer until the bearing came loose.

Cleaned the shaft and nose of the compressor up a little. I popped the pulley snapped in the retaining clip. Then, with a drop of oil I was able to just turn the pulley to tighten the "clutch" onto the shaft. Tightened it back up with the ratchet.

The old bearing was totally shot. Both seals had completely fallen off and it was missing a few of the ball bearings. Now, good as new!
Hey that's really good to know we can replace just the pulley. My E90 has the same "clatter" noise from A/C pulley and want to replace it. Do you know when you did the procedure if the pulley bolt needs to be spun clockwise if pulley is held still?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts