BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, in advance I appreciate your help being this my first post.
I own a beautiful 2004 5 series 530i clutchless compressor, only one radiator fan

Problem:
Cold starting (for example in the morning)
AC Switch ON
Radiator fan NOT spinning
AC compressor not engaged
NO COLD AIR, just fresh

After 5 minutes driving
AC Switch ON
Radiator fan spinning
AC compressor engaged
COLD AIR!!

There is 40psi on the low side port when compressor on and 100psi when compressor off

What could be causing the fan and compressor not to come ON when the car is cold?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the outside temp when this happens and what temp have you selected?
Wow, nice comment! Thanks, it's 65 outside and I set the AC MAX (I remember but I could be wrong).

I have made this test: I start de car, AC ON MAX but no cool air, no fan, no compressor. I rev the car up and after a while voilá! Cool air, fan on and compressor on

· Registered
1,184 Posts
1st thing you are going to need is a scan tool capable of reading the IHKA module to check to make sure that the system is being commanded on. If there is no command to the refrigerant control valve in the compressor then you will not have any ac. If there is command to the valve it does not mean that the valve is actually working, they are known to stick.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, nice comment! Thanks, it's 65 outside and I set the AC MAX (I remember but I could be wrong).

I have made this test: I start de car, AC ON MAX but no cool air, no fan, no compressor. I rev the car up and after a while voilá! Cool air, fan on and compressor on
Hi, This morning I tried again 65F outside temp, AC temp set to minimum (I think is 62). I will try later when outside temp is higher and the car engine cold.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
1st thing you are going to need is a scan tool capable of reading the IHKA module to check to make sure that the system is being commanded on. If there is no command to the refrigerant control valve in the compressor then you will not have any ac. If there is command to the valve it does not mean that the valve is actually working, they are known to stick.
Please see the images attached. When the compressor capacity is showing zero the car was off. In another picture it displays outside temperature 32F but it was 65F, is it normal?

BTW I cleared the error codes for the IHKA (never had checked it before) and after a 20 minutes drive it still passes, tough the outside temperature keeps showing 32F on the scanner and 65F on the instrument cluster

Attachments

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please see the images attached. When the compressor capacity is showing zero the car was off. In another picture it displays outside temperature 32F but it was 65F, is it normal?

BTW I cleared the error codes for the IHKA (never had checked it before) and after a 20 minutes drive it still passes, tough the outside temperature keeps showing 32F on the scanner and 65F on the instrument cluster
With this settings (after the 5 minutes drive) it started to blow mildly cold air through the front vents but hot air through the defrost vents of the front windshield

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.