BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to remove my broken ac compressor from my x3 2.5i 2004.
does anyone know how i can do it? i mean there is no space to remove it only by removing the box with the water for the front window. do i have to remove the radiator and hoses to do it from the top? or i have to remove it from the bottom of the car? something else?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
20,930 Posts

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
post 11 ....5 mins to pop the engine fan out

>follow post 11 in this festchive link ....its for an e46 cousin of the x3 with the same generic layout as yours....no need to remove hoses/radiator .....but good to pop out washer reservoir to access ac compressor bolts

>you can have the fan assembly out in 5 mins ....then ....the ac compressor belt can be de tensioned/removed ....then ....ac compressor can be unbolted/slid towards the radiator ...then turned up and out....don't clunk the compressor on the radiator fins,,,,,,,its heavy so grip firmly....best wishes

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853867

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so the trick is to remove the engine fan. no need to go down of the car at all (because the bmw service manual says to remove the protective cover at tha bottom, i don't know why, maybe to access the lower bolts of the compressor?)

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
20,930 Posts
On the founding of the International Standards Organization (ISO, e.g. 9000), they came to my industry and facility to learn how we did work procedures. Write the best procedure that can be written, then incorporate experience and solutions to problems, but ENFORCE procedural compliance with approved procedures.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
also ....many folks ditch the stone guards beneath the engine and trans because they mask coolant and oil leaks/hide wrenches and parts dropped from above
On the E83 the metal plate isn't just a guard, it's structural.

Get the car up and drop the compressor from underneath. Your questions are telling that you experience is likely you will do more damage to fasteners trying drop this from above with limited sight and access.

No judging, we all start somewhere. If I'm wrong, apologies in advance.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
the metal plate isn't just a guard

>yes ...good point on the metal plate ....BUT ....the part referenced was the plastic stone guard

>we've taken droves of e46, x3 etc etc out by popping out the fan assembly and simply bringing the ac compressor forward and up

>give the top out a try and if its too much for y'all just squish under and do from below....either route is doable

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes it's true, i don't have experience. i asked here, in order to give the info to my mechanic (i will not do it on my own). he doesn't know how to uninstall it, due to limited space.
thanks to all of you

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
yes it's true, i don't have experience. i asked here, in order to give the info to my mechanic (i will not do it on my own). he doesn't know how to uninstall it, due to limited space.
thanks to all of you
You should charge $125 an hour to advise.

Svieks...have your AC evacuated at a shop before disconnecting. In the States, you can get this done for free if the recover the Freon.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
oil type and level

>there are some basic rules of thumb when it comes to ac oil type/viscosity and how much to put in

>always look up the manufacturers table available online and get the correct PAG synthetic oil.....the newer ac systems don't use the old style mineral oil that the freon 12 fill units did

>new compressors are only made by a few manufacturers so there isn't tons of searching around needed for info

>drain the oil if any from a new or old unit and fill with the manufacturers spec amount.....usually 4-6 ounces .....then .....rotate the compressor over and over several times to get the oil distributed.....DO NOT overfill !.....the oil lubes the compressor and circulates around the system picking up moister too.....BUT ....the system can only handle so much

>some vendors sell their compressors with what they describe as "already filled with oil"......BUT .....this must be treated as fiction....AND ....you must take 5,drain what's in the unit if any.....then.....put the right amount in

>oil in an ac system/compressor is where you need submarine Doug's stick to procedure' s mindset unless you want to blow tons of $$$$$

>most of the earlier e46 and x3 etc with the m54 engine used PAG46 oil ....BUT ......check with your manufacturer online/from your vendor

1 - 18 of 18 Posts