Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Community,

My AC gave up on me last weekend on my 2014 X5 f15. It turns out I have a compressor failure. Signal is sent to it, but it does not engage. I am mechanically inclined, and looking to replace it myself. I have all the tools require, including a vacuum machine etc... I will also have a shop professionally remove the r134a before i tackle the job. Anyhow, does someone have step by step directions on how to replace the compressor. Just trying to save time, instead of me trying to figure out how to access the defective part.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello Community,

My AC gave up on me last weekend on my 2014 X5 f15. It turns out I have a compressor failure. Signal is sent to it, but it does not engage. I am mechanically inclined, and looking to replace it myself. I have all the tools require, including a vacuum machine etc... I will also have a shop professionally remove the r134a before i tackle the job. Anyhow, does someone have step by step directions on how to replace the compressor. Just trying to save time, instead of me trying to figure out how to access the defective part.

Thanks in advance.

You didn’t specify what engine is in your X15 but here’s the procedure for the N55 (35i) variant.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f15-x5-xdrive35i-sav/repair-manuals/64-heating-air-conditioning/64-52-compressor/Hv1rCNSG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hello Community,

Thanks in advance.

How did you know your ac compressor was at fault? Could you please share the symptoms? Did you replace it by yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AC stopped working while I was driving. Basically, sudden stop... Which is an indication of a compressor failure. I checked that voltage was sent to the compressor, and it wasn't engaging.

Yes, I replaced it myself. Not too difficult... U just need to make sure to vaccum the lines before u refill. Also, make sure to refill with the right amount.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a near identical issue but mine is a 2016 50I, the V8,
The TIS says to remove the radiator, did you need to do that?
I believe that I would have to to get at the compressor at all from the top.
I have not been able to get close enough to actually check the wiring to the compressor clutch so not certain if power is getting to the clutch but I have run the diagnostics from ISTA and it says a wiring or clutch issue. Most likely the clutch but not certain.
Did you look into only replacing the clutch and not the entire compressor? If possible to do wo draining the system would be great but I don't find anyone doing that or the clutch available alone.
Mine also simply stopped working while driving, it appears no other issues and gauges check fine, just no clutch turn on.
Any help appreciated, don't want to pay to have someone do this but not sure I am up for all of the process to get to it with the V8.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts