BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Ac compressor won't spin without jump

1253 Views 4 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  alecpierre
Hey everyone, my compressor was broken so I switched it today and everything went well, air blew real cold after all was said and done. Everything was working as it should for about 20-30 mins then the ac starts blowing hot air. I checked and the compressor isn't spinning . But I knew it couldn't be broken cause I just bought a new one (although it is rebuilt), so I jumped power from the battery to the compressor and what do ya know, it spins. I checked fuses but everything seems alright. So I'm pretty much stumped right now, any suggestions?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Sounds like you have a leak and the system lost all/most of the refrigerant. There is a safety switch that will cut the compressor off to avoid damage. Also, if you didn't pull a proper vacuum on the system prior to refilling it, you could have too much pressure in the system and the compressor will also cut off for that, but my money is on a leak.
Hey everyone, my compressor was broken so I switched it today and everything went well, air blew real cold after all was said and done. Everything was working as it should for about 20-30 mins then the ac starts blowing hot air. I checked and the compressor isn't spinning . But I knew it couldn't be broken cause I just bought a new one (although it is rebuilt), so I jumped power from the battery to the compressor and what do ya know, it spins. I checked fuses but everything seems alright. So I'm pretty much stumped right now, any suggestions?
Turns out there was a problem with the drier. It was blocking the airflow. We cleaned it out and now everything is working as it should.
Let this be a lesson to everyone, you are supposed to replace the drier when you replace other components. This is why.
Turns out there was a problem with the drier. It was blocking the airflow. We cleaned it out and now everything is working as it should.
You live and you learn. Though I'm still using the same old drier for now until I can save up the money for a new one...
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.