BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Ac hose broke, finally replacing it after 2 years

944 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  SJBimmer
It's the lower of the two hoses on the passenger side. It looks clogged on both ends of the break with something that looks like dried mud.

Cost me $90 online and what I need to know is can I replace the hose and Recharge the system with an autoparts store r134a recharge canister or two. Or do I need to take it to a shop to evacuate moisture and what ot to be safe.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
2 Years is an awfully long time to have a system that has not been run. Seals on compressor are probably dried out, you will need a new receiver drier, and absolutely must have the system evacuated under a vacuum for at least 30 mins to remove all moisture, before recharging. I do not recommend doing this yourself. I sense a big bill coming. Sorry.
Guy on other thread replaced his own hose and took to a shop for service. Evac and recharge was $150
thats not too bad for $150 considering it would prolly take 2 cannisters of crappy diluted DIY r134a from autozone which go for $40 a can
If you ever do top off the charge after you get it fixed, use pure 134a. Do not use anything with a sealer in it.
thats not too bad for $150 considering it would prolly take 2 cannisters of crappy diluted DIY r134a from autozone which go for $40 a can
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.