BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I have a BMW 745LI Individual and recently i had some problems with the AC. First it started out with the air not cold as it used to be. Then it became worse, i tried everything related to the Climate control and now the air is coming hot, i mean really hot, as if i have the heater on.

I thought there is something wrong with the AC compressor so i took the car on the highway to see how the AC will work after some driving, in about 10 mins, i noticed the air blowing from the front right vents is colder than the left ones, i checked the setting for both sides and all seemed identical. So i decided to see how the rear AC will work, you know the vents on the ceiling not the middle ones as those works with front AC, but it was running fine.

So now to sum it up, i have the front left vents blowing hot air, front right vents blowing slighty colder air, rear vents blowing cold air.

MY dad bought this car from Dubai a while back, he drove it there for quite sometime with no problems and shipped it to Egypt recently, there isn't really good service for BMW cars here.

Thanks

·
Asanti AF 120
1,450 Posts
Amoor, try this as this has happened to me before: make sure that the "AUTO" button for both sides (A/C) have been pressed, the driver and the passenger side. Some times after not having the A/C ON for any reason I only press the driver side to "AUTO", forgetting the passenger side which will remain warmer until that side button is also press.

Welcome to the fest, you got to be the first one here from Egypt. Any cool pictures of your seven around Dubai?

Rafa

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Rafa, i tried what u suggested and it seemed to make things better after about 30 mins of driving, at least for the driver's side. I decided to go to the BMW dealer here to see what they have to say about this problem, they told me that it is some sort of a faulty sensor or valve that is causing all the trouble, it lets hot water flow thru the heater pipes even if i don't have the heater on. They said they don't have a replacement part and they gonna order one for me today. I am going later today to pick the car and see if that will really fix the problem.

As for the pics unfortunately i don't have any good pics for the car in Dubai, but i do have a few that i took here. I am gonna post em after i get back.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Thank you Rafa, i tried what u suggested and it seemed to make things better after about 30 mins of driving, at least for the driver's side. I decided to go to the BMW dealer here to see what they have to say about this problem, they told me that it is some sort of a faulty sensor or valve that is causing all the trouble, it lets hot water flow thru the heater pipes even if i don't have the heater on. They said they don't have a replacement part and they gonna order one for me today. I am going later today to pick the car and see if that will really fix the problem.

As for the pics unfortunately i don't have any good pics for the car in Dubai, but i do have a few that i took here. I am gonna post em after i get back.

Thanks
It's not the water valves. It's because you're slightly low on refrigerant and perhaps hearing a hissing noise from time to time. Here is a water valve :

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GL63&mospid=47777&btnr=64_1228&hg=64&fg=18

This thing CAN stick but if you clamp the hose at the water valves (you're manually closing the water valves that way) it should have an even output temp on both zones. Water valves stuck open usually happens on the passengers side and it's clearly intermittent at first until it completely fails. They should have hooked up a pressure gauge and look at the readings, I can guarantee that both low and high side shows up low. They may be in for a surprise so beware. Ask for a diagnosis printout (with faults and the status request page) that showed the water valve closed on the passengers side and opened on the drivers side. I've already said it many times, it's easier to hook up a gauge than to think it's an electrical malfunction that isn't supported by any fault or logical symptom. Shotgun diagnosis isn't always a sure hit. This is where you need the precision of a sniper rifle with the proper ammunition. If I'm right, suspect that the only thing he's hitting is his crack pipe and misses on all his diagnosis. Think about it, what side of the engine compartment are the pipes and hoses located? Where does it go in first? How much of an effect would it be for the farthest/last compared to the closest and first? Think fuel pressure if slightly low. On this diagram :

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GL63&mospid=47777&btnr=13_0970&hg=13&fg=15

What fault do you think would come up and which one would have the lean misfire? Which fuel trim would show the leanest and which bank would not report a misfire detection fault?

Right Bank (passengers side in the U.S,) would be cylinders 1 to 4 and cylinder 1 would be the one closer to the front of the car or closer to the timing chain.
Left bank (U.S. is left hand drive, so drivers side) would be cylinders 5-8 and cylinder 5 would be closer to the front of the car or timing chain.

Class, dismiss.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Amoor , where did you took it to, Ezz el 3arab they have great service. If they still exist

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took it to Bavarian Auto Group... Ezz el 3arab still exist, but i didn't know they serve BMW cars, perhaps u meant Abou El Fotouh ? ( which they don't exist anymore )

I forgot to mention in my previous post that i asked them to check refrigerant pressure and they said it was normal.

They replaced the water valve, i took a pic of it:

The AC is ok now, i didn't see the diagnosis printout but they assured me it was it that was causing the problem. Next time ( I hope there isn't a next time lol ) i'll ask for a printout as BMW_Tech mentioned in his post.

Over all i am not happy with their service as expected, i paid 300$ and they broke something else while replacing the valve, when i got the car back it was shacking really bad, and the engine sounded horrible, I figured it was one of the alternators ( or whatever its called). I had to bring the car back inside and wait for another hour to fix what they broke, at no charge of course...

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
wa7ashetny masr be 2arfaha , BTW there is a lot of good information regarding the 7 on this Forum , try to search for the thing you are looking for if not you can start a thread like you did and lot of members with valuable information would be helping

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I forgot to mention in my previous post that i asked them to check refrigerant pressure and they said it was normal.They replaced the water valve, i took a pic of it:

The AC is ok now, i didn't see the diagnosis printout but they assured me it was it that was causing the problem. Next time ( I hope there isn't a next time lol ) i'll ask for a printout as BMW_Tech mentioned in his post. Overall i am not happy with their service a sex pected, i paid 300$ and they broke something else while replacing the valve, when i got the car back it was shacking really bad, and the engine sounded horrible, I figured it was one of the alternators ( or whatever its called). I had to bring the car back inside and wait for another hour to fix what they broke, at no charge of course...
Im sticking to my story and you just confirmed it for I can simply read between the lines. Im right about the fact that they would break something else. The part is on the left strut tower are, what could they possibly break? Well, as long as it's fixed. You can't do anything about it if the technician admitted that I was right. He would keep that to himself. The first time I made this mistake (back in 1993, a 325i owned by a girl who became my friend), my honesty earned the respect of one beautiful woman. That's how we New Yorkers roll. We say it as how we see it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, i will sure be spending a lot of time browsing this forum, wish i had known about it earlier lol...

BTW I am going to take good pics for my 7 and post em in the pic thread for Rafa's viewing pleasure, as for now here is a quick pic i took with a friend..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Nice looking 7 , where is that at Sa7rawy? I love that the BMW's in Egypt comes with the Euro lights
you gotta go to Marina get all the hotties there lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No.. Haram, right beside the Pyramids lol... I think most of the cars in the whole middle east comes with Euro lights. My Jetta has Euro lights as well.

Of course am going there, in 2 or 3 weeks i guess lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im sticking to my story and you just confirmed it for I can simply read between the lines. Im right about the fact that they would break something else. The part is on the left strut tower are, what could they possibly break? Well, as long as it's fixed. You can't do anything about it if the technician admitted that I was right. He would keep that to himself. The first time I made this mistake (back in 1993, a 325i owned by a girl who became my friend), my honesty earned the respect of one beautiful woman. That's how we New Yorkers roll. We say it as how we see it.
Yeah i was asking that to myself, what could they possibly break while replacing the part, even though they fixed it, they refused to tell me what happened exactly... thats how it goes in Egypt.. oh well

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.