BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I have 2 questions that I have wanted to ask for awhile.

First is about the AC.
My E60 530i has been to two Independent Air Condition repair shops and neither one had an adapter or setup to connect their gauges to the front AC port (see picture)
These are AC shops in that AC is all that they do.
If they cannot even connect their gauges to my BMW, then why are they even looking at my car?
What makes this so weird, is there a special adapter that is used to connect gauges or does BMW have gauges that only they have and work?

The second question is the crud on my rims.
I used Meguiars wheel and rim cleaner (the spray on and off) and it did not cut it.
I even tried a bristle brush, I can use my finger nail and scratch it off. (see Pictures)
So what's the deal and how do I get the rims looking like new?

Thanks in advance.

Bud

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Question One: that is a standard high side R-134A AC connection. The only difficulty I see is that it is recessed into the radiator support. Most R-134A connectors have the hose coming off at a 90 degree angle from the connection. The radiator support would interfere with the hose. Solution, remove or loosen the support so the connection would fit. But you can find adapters to make a straight on connection. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/r134a-adapter

Question Two: I would like to hear what everyone uses to completely clean that damned brake dust off the rims too!!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
But you can find adapters to make a straight on connection. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/r134a-adapter
Ya know for such low cost adapters how could a AC facility not have them!
Unbelievable.
Plus I think that the second shop that I went to screwed up my AC.
The first shop was honest and said that without being able to connect the gauges they could not really know if there was a problem or not.
They referred me to Arctic Air here in Ft. Lauderdale where they also could not connect any gauges but rather than say what the first shop said,
the guy connected a tank to the rear port that he could get to and added freon. He turned the tank on it's side after upright was not doing much.
The air was colder and he said there ya go and charged me $65.00
Fast forward a couple of months my compressor is making noise and the ac is hot and does not work.

Secondly the best responses for the rims is to rub hard.
I'll try that with one of those rim brushes shaped like a cone that fits on a drill.
Thanks Coolrockdaddy, "Magic Eraser Outdoor Pro" states it works on Rims.
Anyone else use Magic Eraser?

Bud

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.