BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I charged the system a few weeks ago to cure the problem of hot air, passenger side. Now the fan ran intermidently Now doesn`t run at all. Fuses (3) are ok. Compressor is NOT running. Any ideas???

·
Registered
110 Posts
I charged the system a few weeks ago to cure the problem of hot air, passenger side. Now the fan ran intermidently Now doesn`t run at all. Fuses (3) are ok. Compressor is NOT running. Any ideas???
if compressor isnt running it could be a multiple of things, one reason is that there isnt enough juice in the system, how much did you charge it? also charging too much i hear can cause problems,
and as far as for your fan, after reading 10's of 20's of 30 postings on the topic im pretty safe to say its your, blower motor resistor (fsr)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put a big can in. It has been running fine for a few weeks since. If I put the temp up to over 70 the fan comes on. but the compressor does not. I`m in florida, today was over 95 out side

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is the dreaded blower resistor (Hedgehog)

My fan blower motor was intermittent and then completely stopped. Turns out it was a common problem. The original blower motor resistor pack has a big heat sink attached. (big spikes really) It wasn't up to the job and caused the resistor pack to burn out. The replacement resistor has a heat sink with a greater surface area (more spikes). To replace it you need to remove the glove box and cover panel. You can find some great writeups online. The Haynes manual is completely a waste. I did mine today and now I have AC and the blower. :)

I got the resistor on ebay for less than 70 bucks

·
Registered
110 Posts
did you use a guage so your able to control how much goes in to see if you put too much in or maybee not enough??? i had mine done by "pros" and it worked for a few days, but turned out "the pros (aka dumb F**k's)" used an empty can to charge it so only a tiny bit went in, got a guage and a couple cans and did it myself, been working great ever since.

and about the fan not working properly post number 7 on that link is what i used to change mine, it was alot of help with good pictures, and tips

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=256286&highlight=final+stage+resistor

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,979 Posts
I put a big can in. It has been running fine for a few weeks since. If I put the temp up to over 70 the fan comes on. but the compressor does not. I`m in florida, today was over 95 out side
I'm in Alabama and it is HOT here too. I would almost bet $$ it is the final stage unit or blower motor resistor. Pretty easy to replace and a $80 part. Go to the nearest dealer and buy one! You can get them cheaper online, but since I know how the south is in the summer another $20 is well worth not de-hydrating in your car!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The climate control system on our 2000 318i is playing up also. It blows cold air on both driver and passenger sides however on the driverside only it blows hot air to the feet.
Fan control speeds still work and we had the gas level checked today and it was fine.
Whether the system is on auto or directed to the windscreen it doesnt rectify the hot air to drivers feet. Can the climate control system be reset? I'm yet to read of a problem such as this

·
Registered
110 Posts
The climate control system on our 2000 318i is playing up also. It blows cold air on both driver and passenger sides however on the driverside only it blows hot air to the feet.
Fan control speeds still work and we had the gas level checked today and it was fine.
Whether the system is on auto or directed to the windscreen it doesnt rectify the hot air to drivers feet. Can the climate control system be reset? I'm yet to read of a problem such as this
me neither, i havent heard of that yet...
im stummped...:dunno:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trouble back

I replaced the blower motor resistor . Worked fine for about 1 hour , now back to intermittent fan. Are these replacement parts reliable. It was $39.95. Should I be looking for another problem??

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,979 Posts
I replaced the blower motor resistor . Worked fine for about 1 hour , now back to intermittent fan. Are these replacement parts reliable. It was $39.95. Should I be looking for another problem??
How'd you get it for that price? I paid over $70? Quality item or Pep Boys special?

·
Registered
110 Posts
WOW!!!!!! I called all around and only place i was able to find it a bit cheaper than $85, was on ebay, but after shipping would of been the same..

Where did you get yours??? Could the case here possibly be "you get what you pay for"??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They sell on e-bay when I recieved the reciept had,, onlinewholsaleparts.com, auto tech & USA abcmarts She is finally home with the car. It blows cold air but the fan goes off & on The fan did not work at all last time after it was going off & on. I know you get what you pay for. But I don`t want to buy another if its not my problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts