BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 325ci and have been experiencing some AC issues.

Recently my AC has stopped blowing COLD air and I have begun the process and trouble shooting the issue.

I had a mechanic look at the AC briefly last time I took the car in, but did not want an entire diagnostic due to the hefty price of the AC services. He made sure the R134a was full and that was the extent of what he did.

I have been doing some research on line and thought maybe the relay was bad so I replaced that and something interesting happened. I would get cold air blowing for about 1 minute and then back to no AC again. The fan on the front of the AC compressor would spin during this and then back to not spinning.

I am thinking there is a loose power cord somewhere. The fact that the AC does work for a short period of time leaves me here, asking you guys for your advice.

Any advice or words of wisdom are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
If it blows cold then shuts off there is a decent chance that your Outside Air sensor is bad & or damaged / missing.

It is located in the Drivers side Wheel Well fender liner. Its not very big 3" long with a pair of wires leading to it. Does your outside temp read -40 or 200? If so then this is likely the culprit. The part is cheep, $40 for Original or $10 oem.

In my case the entire sensor and wires had been torn out along with the piece for fender liner. I found a repair kit on Amazon for $20 that included an OEM sensor+ 2' wire leads & a new plug.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Well, compressors kicking on and off when they should be just on is a sign of low refrigerant, but you said you've made sure that isn't the case. I think you might be on the right track about a relay. Its odd that the fan and compressor turn on and off at the same time though, I'm not sure if they are both controlled by the same relay. The only thing I could recommend for that would be Googling some information about relays and then using a voltmeter to diagnose if the relays are working as they should.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts