BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys! got a 2016 435i with n55 and im at 800kms on the break in.. for the first 600 kms, i varied revs alot and was switching gears every minute and accelerating(highway roadtrip). im still about 1000kms from the break in being over and my question is are we allowed to accelerate hard to vary the rpms? in other words, we are supposed to vary our rpm alot so does that mean i can do 60% throttle pulls to 4500rpm, and downshifting to 4000 rpm and then high throttle to 4500 rpm with manual shift? of course only when the engine is warmed uo.

or are we supposed to gradually raise rpm and not drive aggresively? are we even allowed/supposed to shift at 4000-4500?

hoepfully makes sense!!

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Q: Are we allowed to accelerate hard and vary the rpm's during break-in?
A: Sure. You bought the car so you are allowed to do anything you want.
Q: How should I drive the car during break-in?
A: Read the manual. Then think about the implications of what BMW says should be done.

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
I kept the revs under 4500 as stated in the manual, I varied the rev count. I did not do any wide open throttle starts. I did not, however, keep my speed below 100 mph. I was on the autobahn fer goodness sakes. Over 100K miles later, I have had zero engine issues.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So driving aggressively and not passing 4500 is ok then? Or is it recommended not to drive agressivly and only vary the rpm gently and gradually

·
Registered
864 Posts
Sigh...RTM:

"Breaking-in period
General information
Moving parts need time to adjust to one another
(break-in time).
The following instructions will help accomplish
a long vehicle life and good efficiency.
During break-in, do not use the Launch Control,
refer to page 76.
Engine, transmission, and axle drive
Up to 1,200 miles/2,000 km
Do not exceed the maximum engine and road
speed:
For gasoline engine 4,500 rpm and
100 mph/160 km/h.
Avoid full load or kickdown under all circumstances.
From 1,200 miles/2,000 km
The engine and vehicle speed can gradually be increased."

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I understand all that but my question is are we allowed to drive aggressively still but shift before 4500?

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Yes I understand all that but my question is are we allowed to drive aggressively still but shift before 4500?
Sure, you are allowed to. No one will stop you from driving as you wish.

However if you want to stay within the manufacturers guidelines and extend the life of your car then read and follow the manual.

·
Registered
20 Posts
For what its worth the harder the driving the bigger repair bills! My advice is never work hard a cold engine (especially diesel), and warm it down before switching off. There's also an old racing saying: to finish first, first you must finish!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Okay (MHOs)...to put the car under full load basically means to accelerate or drive the car so that the throttle used, results in the maximum load (resistance from the car) and the engine and transmission are having to work at maximum. The increase in combustion pressures will force the rings a bit harder against the bore and bed them in...however this should be done lightly at first with the throttle application and revs gradually increasing as the car is run in. Full load can be accomplished in a number of ways:

1. Drive up a very steep hill in a low gear...add a heavy load of people and cargo to increase the load.

2. Full kickdown (pedal to the floor) for passing...it does not matter if you back off at 4500rpm, you have still put the car under full load up to that point.

3. Wind the car out from a standing start so that maximum revs are hit before each gear change.

·
Registered
71 Posts
On the 2 occasions I've ED'd a car, they were both at Vmax within the first 100 miles.

I'm a firm believer in a hard break-in :drive:

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
ok so it is recommended just to drive normally and not accelerate hard until break in
Whats recommended, is what is in the manual. What you want to do, is up to you. Thats the end result of what people are saying. Your car, you do what you want. if you want whats "recommended", then that section of the manual is what is recommended, and is posted here.

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
On the 2 occasions I've ED'd a car, they were both at Vmax within the first 100 miles.

I'm a firm believer in a hard break-in :drive:
+155, but I don't wait for much more than 10 miles after leaving Welt. Of course the manual say something different. :bigpimp:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts