Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been away for a month and the car has not been used during that time.
After coming back the car started fine and no problems, except the accelerator paddle is Jammed/locked and i cannot press it DOWN with my foot, however hard i try. It was left working fine. Can anybody please tell me what it could be?
The car is a 2001 318Ci, Manual gear box

Thank you!!

·
Keeping it surreal
43,082 Posts
IIRC, 2001 was the year they switched over from cable-operated throttle to DBW (Drive By Wire). Check to see which you have. If cable, use some spray lube (PB Blaster, CRC, WD-40, etc.) to free it up.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I am not sure from where you are are writing, and I am only guessing on the details of your car.

If your car has the M43 engine, and is left hand drive, here is a link to a diagram and the part number for the throttle cable:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=BL31-EUR-01-2001-E46-BMW-318Ci&diagId=35_0188

It is my opinion this may be causing the problem. If your car is right hand drive (or a different engine), this will not be the correct part.

And welcome to Bimmerfest!

:drive:

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
IIRC, 2001 was the year they switched over from cable-operated throttle to DBW (Drive By Wire). Check to see which you have. If cable, use some spray lube (PB Blaster, CRC, WD-40, etc.) to free it up.

True for E46s sold in the US and some other countries. Some markets didn’t get throttle by wire until model year 2002. OP isn’t in the US, based on the model. Based on the post with the realoem link I’m betting the car has a throttle cable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts