Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think about this?
2007 335i coupe (manual transmission) with 16k miles, with premium, sport, nav, logic 7, ipod aux for $24,500? Keep in mind it is a salvage title where the car was hit on the front right side so the bumper, radiator, front right head light, the right panel and some plastic under the car was replaced. Thanks a bunch~

·
Registered
653 Posts
Depends... Do you want to keep the car for a long time (it may be hard to sell with a salvage title)? Does it come with a BMW warranty? Can a reputable shop (better yet a BMW dealership) confirm that it is properly aligned and that everything works as it is supposed?

·
Piacere di guidare
1,474 Posts
While I can't say for certain, it seems highly unlikely that any BMW sold on a salvage title would have any factory warranty coverage. As a general rule, salvage title cars are to be avoided by 98% of the population 99% of the time. Remember this key fact: any vehicle with a salvage title was damaged so badly that the cost to PROPERLY repair it was more than the car was worth at retail. So what corners did the shop cut to get the car drivable and sell it to you at a profit?

Unless you are extremely knowledgable about crash damage repair and know exactly what the damage was (like with pictures of the car torn down for repair), you will more than likely get a nasty surprise somewhere down the line. Something like, oh, I dunno.. a cracked motor mount that finally breaks all the way when you're on a pleasure trip a thousand miles from home. Or a wrinkle in the unibody that forces you to screw interior panels on and everything creaks and rattles like an old barn in a windstorm. Or a suspension that won't properly align and the car shows it under acceleration, or even worse, under hard braking. And that's well before you try to sell the car. My advice: keep looking for that first BMW ride. This isn't the one.

·
Registered
927 Posts
From the description of that car, its original list price was about $48,000. In order to be declared a salvage vehicle, I would guess that the legitimate repair costs for complete restoration were significantly in excess of $25,000. The explanation of repairs cited by Sourphish doesn't sound anywhere near that, so I would suspect that there is a little understatement on the part of the seller. Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
911 Posts
From the description of that car, its original list price was about $48,000. In order to be declared a salvage vehicle, I would guess that the legitimate repair costs for complete restoration were significantly in excess of $25,000. The explanation of repairs cited by Sourphish doesn't sound anywhere near that, so I would suspect that there is a little understatement on the part of the seller. Caveat emptor.
What he said.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts