BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· resident dj
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just traded my '08 E92 for '08 E83 M-Sport couple of days ago and have some questions about accessories.

Coming from E9x world where accessories are in abundance, I am having hard time finding anything my my X3

I would like to change the bulbs in angel eyes and maybe install black lines, but every site that has them for sale says that its all "up to 09/06" manufacturing date, or '07 Model Year?

Also, looking for black lettering to replace "X3" and preferably "3.0si" on the side

The only thing that I was able to find right away, was black kidney grilles...

Would anyone point me in the right direction please?

· Registered
409 Posts
I haven't seen such. I have an E46 M3 and I just don't think the X3 is really a hot item on the tuning companies' radar. I tinted mine, added some all weather mats. I probably add the alarm, tow hitch, roof box--that kind of stuff. I just want it to run.

· Registered
28 Posts
I used realoem to confirm the p/n for the LCI angel eyes is identical to the p/n for the E53 X5. Confirm for yourself.

Confirm, purchase from bimmian, and create a diy thread. I intend to once spring rolls around.

· Tar Heel Faithful
14,264 Posts
Rear foglight (buy the switch like the 3er), retrofit a first-aid kit box underneath the passenger seat, maybe the aspheric outside mirrors.

There weren't any blacklines for the LCI taillights I think, that's why you see "up to 9/06" for the Blacklines.

· Tar Heel Faithful
14,264 Posts
I did the fog switch and would love to have the aspherical mirrors. But ECS wants like $700 for a heated/dimming set!
Auto-dimming mirrors are absurdly expensive, about 3x the cost of a normal, heated one. I just got lucky with the one on the E90 when there was one on eBay.de. My X3 doesn't have auto-dimming, luckily so that wasn't as price sensitive.

· Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,286 Posts
Sole, unfortunately there is next to nothing for "tuning" your X3. I presumed since this vehicle was based on the 3'ers that making changes would be a regular event. Nope! Essentially the only thing you can change on the 07 and up models is simple bolt ons.

No short throw, no chip sets, nada......

· Registered
1,364 Posts
Carbon Fiber

You can add carbon fiber B pillar overlays that look nice

4,286 Posts
Like I said, really nothing but bolt ons.

Oh well, I understand the N55 we can chip almost to a real M class level of power.

· resident dj
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for replies, everyone.

So far I am doing these:
Thule Snowcat Ski/Snowboard Rack
Getting tinted tomorrow.

Black Grilles
Mtech v2.1 Angel Eyes
I will black out roundels and all badges. Not sure if I should paint them in place like this guy, or buy a new set, paint and then put it on. Amount of labor would be pretty much the same.

Just looked up the price of Pirelli PZero Rosso's that I currently have, and I may end up getting a whole new set of wheels when I go through the current tires. The price of new rims AND tires would be just a bit over what Pirelli's cost. Had Gunmetal VMR V710's on my E92. They were very nice. Would probably look good on an X3 too.

I may add First aid kit just for kicks, but am more interested in extra storage space. Replaced the ashtray with Oddments Tray like this one and going to run the iPod cable out though this oddments tray. My iPhone4 fits nicely in ashtray opening if you put it sideways.

I want to get exhaust tip covers and powder coat them ceramic black, but as I understand, they wont work with M-Sport bumper.

Other than that, this thing has everything. M-Sport + Premium + Nav.

What about performance mods? I understand that the choices are rather limited, but what about air filters? Software flush?

4,286 Posts
What about performance mods? I understand that the choices are rather limited, but what about air filters? Software flush?
Don't mean to be rude but I have said this twice in this thread post alone. No software for 2007 on up, cold air intakes screw up MAF and other things, no short throw, etc.....just cute bolt ons. Thats it. Only thing is maybe a supercharger for $5k and not worth it imo. Or a custom exhaust and catback around $2.5 k . Probably the only power upgrade choice. Believe me I have tried. Speed shop I frequent is friends with Steve Dinan and he even said nope :-(

· MT = Doppler Shifting
1,022 Posts
... cold air intakes screw up MAF and other things ...
What's the conventional wisdom on using K & N air filters with the X3? I know one needs to be careful about using excessive oil when you replenish these filters, lest you affect the MAF sensor; but otherwise: good, bad, or indifferent...?

· Registered
2022 M3
4,492 Posts
At the risk of repeating myself repeating myself, I would point out that if you are in the USA, you do not have an X3 M-sport.

The X3s with sport package have quite a bit of the M sport package, but not quite the whole thing. The M sport package (not sold in the USA) includes staggered wheels and tires (front the same as the US sizes of 18s or 19s, but rear wider) and the anthracite headliner.

· resident dj
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
At the risk of repeating myself repeating myself, I would point out that if you are in the USA, you do not have an X3 M-sport.

The X3s with sport package have quite a bit of the M sport package, but not quite the whole thing. The M sport package (not sold in the USA) includes staggered wheels and tires (front the same as the US sizes of 18s or 19s, but rear wider) and the anthracite headliner.
Thanks for the correction. In E9x world, Sport Package only included sport seats, sport steering wheel and 18" staggered wheels. M-Sport package added M steering whee, M body kit, M shift knobs and e-break lever. Antracite headliner was only available on actual M cars.

I assumed my X3 was M-Sport. It does not have antracite headliner, but it does have staggered 19" Y-spoke wheels.

235/45R19 Front
255/40R19 Rear

Attachments

· Registered
2022 M3
4,492 Posts
I assumed my X3 was M-Sport. It does not have antracite headliner, but it does have staggered 19" Y-spoke wheels.

235/45R19 Front
255/40R19 Rear
With your wheel & tire setup you're just a millimeter away from an M sport. :D But if you check out the cost to replace the headliner :yikes: I suspect you'll want to stay that way.

· Registered
409 Posts
What's the conventional wisdom on using K & N air filters with the X3? I know one needs to be careful about using excessive oil when you replenish these filters, lest you affect the MAF sensor; but otherwise: good, bad, or indifferent...?
I'm running a K&N panel filter in both my X3 and M3. Just use the oil that comes in a spray bottle, like AFE's recharge kit and it will help to prevent over oiling. I don't have any issues so far. Using a K&N was more of a convenience thing for me and I'm sure it's flowing a little better. But it doesn't "feel" any different.

In the M3, I had a Macht Schnell filter and it was noticeable, but I sent it back b/c it didn't fit in the airbox very well; it was too loose.

· MT = Doppler Shifting
1,022 Posts
I'm running a K&N panel filter in both my X3 and M3. Just use the oil that comes in a spray bottle, like AFE's recharge kit and it will help to prevent over oiling. I don't have any issues so far. Using a K&N was more of a convenience thing for me and I'm sure it's flowing a little better. But it doesn't "feel" any different.

In the M3, I had a Macht Schnell filter and it was noticeable, but I sent it back b/c it didn't fit in the airbox very well; it was too loose.
Thanks! I've used K & N filters in other (older) vehicles without issue, but wasn't sure how the Bimmers liked them. Good to get the scoop first-hand!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.