BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I had to take my car into the dealer for a couple of minor fixes and the annual inspection required of all cars here in the in the UK.

As I sat there for 2.5 hours:banghead: I had a great chance to brouse the accessory catalog and found that I have way to many ideas and not enough money...M steering wheel, new wheels, M lighted shift knob, new aero package...

The thing that really stood out to me is that the back few pages were dedicated to products from ACS and Alpina. Does BMW NA have the same relationship with these tuners?

I only owned my 323i a year before moving overseas, so I have never seen a US catalog... I find it interesting that one WALL, floor to ceiling, of the parts department is dedicated to a display advertising ACS. The last time I was in London I even spotted a BMW/Alpina dealer with the Alpina models on display vs unmodified BMW's.

Another interesting note, is that all of the cars the dealer had on display with the sport package automaticaly came with type 72 wheels (no 68's seen anywhere), the M steering wheel, and the lighted M shift knob. This was true for a Z3, 325i, and a 330ci. According to the service guy, those extras are now standard. Interesting...

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Outside of United States, Alpina, AC Schnitzer, and Hartge are considered Manufacturers and have very close relations with BMW AG.

Don't forget, Schnitzer campaigns for BMW AG in German Touring Car championship and used to campaign for BMW in Le Mans and ALMS. AC Schnitzer and Schnitzer Racing have the same parent company.

And Alpina was the ///M division for BMW before BMW had an ///M division.

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for the info/history lesson:thumbup:

I had no idea that ACS had been that involved with BMW GT class racing.

BTW what type of wheels are those on your car. At a glance I always thought they were 68's but after actually taking a good look I see they aren't...also what size? 17's. They look really good.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Re: Thanks!

Desertnate said:
Thanks for the info/history lesson:thumbup:

I had no idea that ACS had been that involved with BMW GT class racing.

BTW what type of wheels are those on your car. At a glance I always thought they were 68's but after actually taking a good look I see they aren't...also what size? 17's. They look really good.
ACS is not involved with GT class racing at all...Schnitzer racing is. They're two seperate comanies but owned by the same parent company. Some Schnitzer technology and know-how does filter down to AC Schnitzer though.

Those are replica style 71s, 18".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts