BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My water pump + pulleys + OFHG preventative maintenance came in a rush. I ordered all parts a few days ago and they all came in today, so I decided to get started on the repairs. Everything goes smoothly until I removed the water pump and WOOSH! Stupid me did not read the DIY in extreme detail or think enough to know that the coolant was supposed to be drained first. It pours out of the water pump opening onto the pulley underneath and out underneath the car.

Now, my question is, do I need to properly drain the system? Or can I just refill the coolant into the reservoir opening? Keep in mind, my coolant system was flushed half a year ago and I would really prefer not to reflush everything. And what are the chances of anything being damaged from the coolant? -BIG SIGH-

Thanks ahead~

-Sam

·
Registered
934 Posts
You'll be okay. Just flush the front of the engine with clear water and be sure to clean up your spill so that local pets don't become poisoned by the anti freeze. Just refill and bleed your system.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll be okay. Just flush the front of the engine with clear water and be sure to clean up your spill so that local pets don't become poisoned by the anti freeze. Just refill and bleed your system.

Did as you said and flushed the lower front of engine with clear water and dabbed it up a bit, letting it dry overnight and tomorrow morning. Also sprayed and cleaned the spill area to protect all those stray cats that like to come poop on my lawn and meow in the middle of the night. Oh and can't forget those raccoons! But don't get me wrong, animals are awesome :)

Just a quick question, do I HAVE to flush the system? Can I just top it off? I checked my coolant reservoir and the dip stick only lowered an inch. I'm really not sure if I have to flush and refill after coolant splurged out of my water pump opening.

·
Registered
158 Posts

+1

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BimmerApp mobile app

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Just a quick question, do I HAVE to flush the system? Can I just top it off? I checked my coolant reservoir and the dip stick only lowered an inch. I'm really not sure if I have to flush and refill after coolant splurged out of my water pump opening.
No need to flush, but you do need to refill it. I'm pretty sure more than an inch of coolant was lost if your description of the event is accurate.

It's a closed system, so once it's all back together, go thru the bleeding procedure - multiple tmes. Once you're circulating water with the new pump, you'll definitely need to top it off with a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water. Do not over fill.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No need to flush, but you do need to refill it. I'm pretty sure more than an inch of coolant was lost if your description of the event is accurate.

It's a closed system, so once it's all back together, go thru the bleeding procedure - multiple tmes. Once you're circulating water with the new pump, you'll definitely need to top it off with a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water. Do not over fill.
Thank you. To follow up, I got everything back up and running again after tons of coolant splurged out of my water pump opening because I forgot to drain the system before changing the water pump. Here is the procedure that I used to bleed the system http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=914109

It definitely works much better than having the engine & heater on, loosening the bleeder screw, and waiting for small air bubbles to come out. (I did both, ended up giving up on the slower way and used method in link above)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.