BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I had new brake pads fitted today but they didn't reset the pad wear indicator.

I've seen online that you can do this, but it seems that it automatically changes the mileage to 30,000.

I thought the purpose of the pad wear sensor (which I also had replaced) was to tell the driver how many miles were left.

Does anyone know how the sensor comes in to play if it's in fact just automatically setting it at 30,000 when it's reset?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum ... The reset starts at 30,000 , as the pad wears it counts down to a lesser figure of mileage remaining before replacement is due .
Hey. Thanks for replying so quickly. So, just to clarify, the pad wear indicator won't just go down along with the mileage I do in the car (I.e it won't actually take 30,000 miles until I get a warning again).

So the 30,000 miles on the wear indicator will go down faster in real time (I.e it could go down to 10,000 miles remaining on the pads after I've only done 8,000 miles just for example?

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Just depends on how heavy you stomp on the brakes . Regaurdless of real time and actual mileage it will alarm you when is time . Then you can do a actual inspection for wear ..

The 30,000 figure is just an estimate of average pad wear .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your welcome ... I recommend that you make sure that you do a good bed in process , makes a big difference in stopping performance .
Here is a good video on how burnish a new set of pads , its a little lengthy but really informative .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi4BAuMjpbE
Sure, I'll definitely take a look. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
2015 535i, 2017 X3 x35
1,809 Posts
The pad wear sensor is an on/off switch: When the pads wear past a certain point, the wear sensor wears through and an electrical circuit is interrupted and the brake light goes on, it has nothing to do with miles driven, that's another monitoring system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.