BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

AceFX

9028 109
I removed ACEFX from the membership tonight he will be on an extended ban from the site untill he understands that he can not continue to edit his post anyway he feels. I wanted to share my feelings towards this ban as I know ACE has a good heart about helping people out.

1. AUX INPUT THREAD - I had asked Ace to stop editing this thread, last Thursday I had to issue him an infraction because he kept insulting a member publiclly by posting his name in his threads after a week of being nice and asking him in Personal Messages to stop, I warned him 3 different times. It got to the point where I had to close the other thread and ACE moved over to his topic and edited his thread to include another members information. Today I got online and the thread had been edited again, not only removing his incorrect information but also removing my tag that I had to edit the thread.

2. ACEFX DIY GUIDES - I also have closed the DIY GUIDES, I can not say that these threads or guides are complete or not. I have been told by several mombers that some of his guides are not fully correct so I would use them at your own risk. I dont know if ACEFX will keep his videos working with the site, I know in the past he locked all of his video's down on YouTube.

3. My first duity when I became the moderator was to lift the ban on ACE, I know all of you as members enjoy his DIY stuff and I really took this as my goal to get the ban lifted. He just did not follow the rules of Bimmerfest.

4. I asked ACEFX in an email if he wanted us to I would post his email address if you needed to contact him.

5. This has nothing to due with his ban but I want to include it. Several members have worked hard to come up with DIY guides and share their information thru out the internet. I am glad that ACE shared his information with all of us. There were several DIY Guides that really needed to give back credit to the author. Most people coding the cars know what threads I am talking about, credit should shared and posted.

This has been one of the hardest topics that I have had to moderate. I have been trying to work with ACE he just was not willing to work with me. Most members that I have delt with so far on this board know how hard I do try and work issues out.

Thanks,
Sirstopher
1 - 20 of 110 Posts
I can understand where you are coming from as I am a Senior Moderator on another car forum, however this is something that should have been elevated to an administrative level since the root cause of all this is the "EDITING" of posts. If people can remove their own information then it's no good to the community. Not to preach, but on that forum it's a 10-15 minute edit window from the orignal post and only moderators and above have the ability to alter the post after that.

ACE has done a number of things to help the community and you know this from what you have posted. His actions may have broken the rules but you have to see where he is coming from. He was provoked numerous times by other members (check out the AUX threads) and he simply was defending himself and then got to the antics of attacking back.

If I can have some information to contact him and if I could speak on behalf of him to administration I would like that opportunity as he has contributed quite a bit to the forums and it would be a disgrace to the community and folks who want to do something useful like the AUX input or the programming and such.
He posted his email on the aux input thread, here is the link.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635227
I thought the whole issue was solved sad to see it has to come this far,hope it all settles down in a while.:angel:
csmeance,

I had looked into the editing time limits years ago but perhaps it's time to look again.

I know you've been around a while. When I was more involved I think I was seen as a decent moderator and I would like to assure you, we tried very hard to work with AceFX and we went to great lengths to avoid this action. sirstopher's patience and flexibility should be applauded as he put in an incredible amount of effort with AceFX.

Whether anyone felt AceFX was right or wrong, in some of the recent issues some people have taken "just defending themselves" to a level that crossed lines. (This goes beyond just the editing of posts.) I worry that some of the recent events make this place look like a joke to an outsider who just surfs on in, or to a new member looking for advice. AceFX' current standing may be unfortunate, but I have to agree with sirstopher's actions as it's time to get the board back to a normal state.
Its all messed up, kinda, lets not point fingers and blame anybody. Chris does a good job, but im sure arguments are ok till somebody reports it. I understand, that chris has to warn, suspend or ban ppl if he gets a report, thats why his a moderator and its not his fault this turned out that way. I just dont understand, why the hell, ppl get in arguments and then they report eachother????,,, If u cant handle it- stay off the topic. If ur in it, prove everybody wrong, or admit ur fault and be friends. There is nothing wrong with that its been like that b4. Its different if somebody comes here and starts disrespecting ppl, being rude etc. now u cant even have ur opinion, ppl cant say stuff as everything can be taken as an insult, ppl dont know what to say anymore, as it may get reported to moderator. One wrong word and ur in trouble. its not moderator's fault tho, its his job to respond. But of course, at the end of the day - hes a bad guy. Which is wrong. Guys that report stuff, should just get balls for a good argument with no one involved and they should make sure it doesnt get out of hand. For example: if somebody asks how his new rims look like, if i dont like them , i wanna say :-" dude, they look like sh!t". But now i cant say that as i know, that guy could report me.
Chris, no worries man, we PMed each other a lot and i really see ur point and where ur coming from. I know ur worried about what ppl are going to say bout you, its important to you as u want to be friends with all of us and dont want ppl have hard feelings or point at you. Your doing everything right. Actually more then any other person would do. We should just change the way we look at things and learn how to accept criticism without getting moderator involved, unless it really gets out of hand.
And i agree with mr wong it looks really bad for new ppl and ppl that just serf this forum as they dont know what the hell is going on
As I stand on the sidelines and observe, a couple comments on the drama from a neutral party:

Ace is too thin-skinned and canot take criticism
There are people that post just to rile up others (trolls)
Many here need to grow up and quit acting like crybabies...waaa waaa waaa - you know who you are

Just my two cents...
This is per Ace:

I have no idea what has happened and that I worked for BMW writing the software coding, that is why I know so much. I still have my contacts at BMW Head Office Australia....so how can these people say my retrofits dont work? I have the CA working now! The only editing I did was to fix spelling and grammar mistakes to make it easier for people to follow what I was saying. I seriously have no idea what has happened.

I was in my car all day for five hours, and then Rookie an I spoke on the phone for an hour, and then I worked on my car for three hours and then came in to find I was banned. I am currently chatting with him now, and that I have no idea why.

If there were and I mean, if there were members who were having problems or killing there cars with my retrofits........ then why are they not posting on my threads that I have ruined their cars up??????

Why do people post on my Threads, Thanks ACE, it worked in five mins, Best retrofit help ever. Funny Sirstopher told me two days ago that PAPER is making complaints about me to him and calling me a liar. Sirstopher told me he was caught in the middle
Ok why don't we just give the guy a break and let him join the fest again.:)
This is per Ace:

I have no idea what has happened and that I worked for BMW writing the software coding, that is why I know so much. I still have my contacts at BMW Head Office Australia....so how can these people say my retrofits dont work? I have the CA working now! The only editing I did was to fix spelling and grammar mistakes to make it easier for people to follow what I was saying. I seriously have no idea what has happened.
Such a shame, Ace clearly knows what he is doing. Ive been a member in this forum for a while. Never seen such bickering among adults either in all of my time. This particular forum has taken a turn for the worst, though the coding has been huge source of useful information. I'm on the fb group now, hoping it stays positive

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App
Many of you have sent me PMs this morning. I wanted to post to let you all know I am reading thru them. Please feel free to post anything right here for everyone to read. I am closely following this thread.

I stated both to a member last night and to M.Wong that my goal here is not to make people angry, upset, or feel that they have to strongly monitor their response to a topic. I except that everyone is going to have a disagreement and I also feel very strong about people working out their own problems.

If I have in any way done something to make your time here unbearable, unwilling to visit, or just hang out with the group post your thoughts here.

My goal is to have a good board with great information a strong membership and people that are willing to help and in my eyes that has been ACEFX.

I really did do my best to give him ample warnings and I feel that this was taken advantage of.

If I have pissed you off please let me know, I would be happy to resolve any issue you may have and if you as a membership feel I am not doing my best I will be the first to say I am done with the moderation and I will leave this site.

Chris
Im been here only a few weeks, and it seems some members have grudge against ACE, alot of picking on him...come on for editing a post seriously . little power tripping IMO

keep the drama for your mama geeez
You don't /must not leave i understand the decision you had to make.

In my opninion i'll say let's forget all this and let's give both AceFx and Slick44 another chance,Slick44 has been here for a long time he deserves at least a lillte bit of credit.
I say let's do this, think we all learned our lesson here and it wouldn't happen again so Chris please:bow:
Many of you have sent me PMs this morning. I wanted to post to let you all know I am reading thru them. Please feel free to post anything right here for everyone to read. I am closely following this thread.

I stated both to a member last night and to M.Wong that my goal here is not to make people angry, upset, or feel that they have to strongly monitor their response to a topic. I except that everyone is going to have a disagreement and I also feel very strong about people working out their own problems.

If I have in any way done something to make your time here unbearable, unwilling to visit, or just hang out with the group post your thoughts here.

My goal is to have a good board with great information a strong membership and people that are willing to help and in my eyes that has been ACEFX.

I really did do my best to give him ample warnings and I feel that this was taken advantage of.

If I have pissed you off please let me know, I would be happy to resolve any issue you may have and if you as a membership feel I am not doing my best I will be the first to say I am done with the moderation and I will leave this site.

Chris
Chris...why are people getting in trouble for editing their own posts? If you are banning people for having useless posts or posts with information that is not useful then there are many members on here that should be banned.

If you put as much work into your mods as ACE did and someone came and criticized it I'm sure you would be pissed and defended yourself. The disagreements between ACE and PAPER are unfortunate and they should have taken it private but in the end you just have two guys that are passionate about their work defending themselves and their credibility.

Im sorry but even with your best efforts having you as the mod has not made things better. All this "nanny state" way of monitoring the forum is just causing more issues and pissing more people off. Do you see any other subsection of the forum with more activity than this one? Guys on here are doing innovative things with our complicated cars. You have to take the good with the bad in a forum. For every negative post ACE is involved in there are 10 positive ones. He adds more good to the Forum than he takes away.

People are saying ACE has incorrect information in his posts? Are you serious? Is that a complaint? Dealerships that charge 1000s to diagnose these cars and they have no clue what they are doing so how do you expect a freelance guy who is posting stuff for free to have 100% accuracy in his posts?

If you want to quit being the mod I would not stop you. I think you're a great guy but your style of moderating is not working in this subsection.
Again, it was not just editing of posts. Unfortunately there was much more to it than that.

Everyone's input is being heard, but based on some other activity that has happened I do not believe AceFX or Slick44 will be returning. This comes from higher up than sirstopher and me. I have always welcomed feedback regarding my method of moderating, and your are free to let me or the administration know your input or complaints. However, if you go to the administration I would highly recommend you do it professionally and respectfully.
in some of the recent issues some people have taken "just defending themselves" to a level that crossed lines. (This goes beyond just the editing of posts.)
What's the point in banning someone if they can just create a new ID and come back on? Why did anyone above you or sirstopher had to be involved in this at all? You're saying Mods can ban people but they cannot reverse the ban?
Again, it was not just editing of posts. Unfortunately there was much more to it than that.

Everyone's input is being heard, but based on some other activity that has happened I do not believe AceFX or Slick44 will be returning. This comes from higher up than sirstopher and me. I have always welcomed feedback regarding my method of moderating, and your are free to let me or the administration know your input or complaints. However, if you go to the administration I would highly recommend you do it professionally and respectfully.
Generally an alias will get banned, IPs can be blocked, etc.

As far as your other questions, this should be a hint. I don't really feel it's necessary to discuss what happened via PMs or other actions?
From the site guidelines said:
No "alternate" personalities. No more than one username per member
M.Wong said:
However, if you go to the administration I would highly recommend you do it professionally and respectfully.
Generally, a repeat user will be trapped by a cookie as IP addresses are pretty much useless as a means of filtering out banned users on vbulletin...
How long is the extended ban? I didn't see the personal attacks in question, but Ace was providing some extremely useful information in great quantity. He was/is a real asset to this board.
1 - 20 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.