BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I***8217;ve heard that there is a recessed button underneath the rear view mirror, I located the little pin hole below the mirror. I have the mirror that has the homelink and the clown looking nose that displays the alarm light. Is this true? If so how can I activate the compass? Has anyone successfully done this? Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
The interior rear view mirrors that have the compass...it should be obvious because you can see exactly where the information displays. Just like when you have the auto dimming mirror...you can see the little round/dot light sensor.

See pic below...you can see were the compass information is in the mirror:

I just did a quick look in the TIS for any additional information...and perhaps you're conflating the instructions for the mirrors that actually have the COMPASS feature with all the other iterations of the interior rear view mirror. Again, if your mirror has the COMPASS feature...it will be visible on the front of the mirror (see B in pic below).
Calibrating compass:

• Switch on ignition.
  • Using a suitable tool (1), press push-button in area (A) of mirror (2) until ”C” appears in compass display (B)
  • Drive vehicle 2 to 3 times in a circle at approx. 10 mph
  • Calibration process is completed when direction display appears

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for The info Qsilver I was thinking that perhaps mine was like the new rear view mirror with the two way mirror on it. On those the compass literally shines through without the little black square around it. Like the image I attached. But guess not. Thanks bud!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
Thanks for The info Qsilver I was thinking that perhaps mine was like the new rear view mirror with the two way mirror on it. On those the compass literally shines through without the little black square around it. Like the image I attached. But guess not. Thanks bud!
No problem. Another thing you can use is the 11 digit BMW part nbr...the RV mirrors that have the compass will be reflected by their 11 digit BMW part nbr, too.

The info on the TIS website did have a few pics that showed the newer type compass mirror...see the links below:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,747 Posts
F10 5-series with navigation do not have a compass in the mirror, at least not in the U.S.

·
Registered
946 Posts
My 2011 F10 doesn't have Navigation and doesn't have the compass. To my knowledge, no USA F10s were ever shipped with compass rear view mirrors. I did retrofit a rear view mirror with the Homelink remote and that was Plug n Play. Not sure if the compass mirrors would be PnP as well. I would assume so.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I have nav and the hole in my mirror is plugged. But I also don't really see any point compass indicators anymore (at least in rear view mirrors).

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
Ditto...if you have nav...a rearview mirror w/compass would be redundant since this info is available in the nav screen. And as stated above, if you have the 6wa instrument cluster...a compass can be coded to appear there as well.

If someone has an f10/f11 that doesn't have nav or the digital clusters...then a RV mirror with a compass might be a nice option.

Someone inquired if a RV mirror w/compass would be PnP...the answer is yes...as long as it is powered/wired correctly in the harness. You can verify using the links previously posted to the TIS that shows how the compass is self-contained within the mirror. You just need to supply power and you should be good to go. The printed circuit board is inside the mirror with control electronics for the compass...and magnetic field sensor is either in the mirror base (older mirrors) or on the printed circuit board (from 09/2006-up) .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts