Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
SweetXi
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states I'm getting an Active Blind Spot Detection Malfunction warning each time I activate the system and exceed 50kph/30mph when the system becomes active.

The system resets each time I turn off car.

Carly detected following codes/errors... that could be related??

1. Central Gateway / zentrales Gateway; Fault Code: 801C20; Fault Explanation: :Central error memory full

2. Junction Box; Fault Code: C90C81; Fault Explanation: :K-LIN 3 wiper: Blocking recognized

and the one I believe is causing the malfunction:

3. Integrated Chassis Module / Längs+Querdynamik; Fault Code: 480049; Fault Explanation: :HC2 function - operation - rear radar sensors unwilling / Ready Rear radar sensors

I did have centre console out and switches disconnected as I was doing some work on it over the weekend, but have confirmed everything is reconnected and all switches function correctly. work was completed Saturday and car driven around Sat with no issue.. Error first occurred Sunday afternoon when just driving along my side street after coming to a stop and accelerating slowly....

It was filthy from previous owner and took opportunity to vacuum and spray it down and clean... not soaked and mostly the plastic piece under where the front cup holders are... are there any things (wires for sensors etc) that I could have knocked in centre console that could be causing this?

I had been doing some tuning of DME (running MHD) last week when had a connectivity issue and app crashed mid-load.... managed to get load completed (car wouldn't start after crash lol) and even reloaded last night (checked option settings and one had to be changed).....

tried disconnecting battery and ran Carly to clear codes....ended-up with the ones above... Could it be the sensors could have lost programming and need to be recoded??

Looking at schematics on my TIS site I found late last night: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f07-535i-xdrive-sat/ I see there is a fuse F131 in rear panel I will check and see if blown but suspect if it was the system would never go to ready state would it?

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Maybe you didn't get all of the plugs seated fully which worked for awhile, and the vibrations opened up the connection after driving it some? First thing to do when troubleshooting is to go back to where you last did any work and recheck things. Finds most of the issues, but not all.

·
SweetXi
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe you didn't get all of the plugs seated fully which worked for awhile, and the vibrations opened up the connection after driving it some? First thing to do when troubleshooting is to go back to where you last did any work and recheck things. Finds most of the issues, but not all.
Hi Jim,

My thoughts as well, but I have once. I will go back and see if there's anything running along the tunnel I could have loosened as well...guess it's coming off one more time...lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
From experience I have found that BMW connectors are very finicky. First there was the rear parking sensors that had been disconnected and reconnected but not working, then the left taillight throwing a code and not illuminating, also previously disconnected and reconnected, then the drivers seat throwing a code, never (to my knowledge at least) having been disconnected. Disconnecting & reconnecting all three eliminated the problems. And, fyi, all three appeared to be firmly connected previously.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Way back in my Army, missile maintenance activities, I once looked up the specs on one of the connectors...it was guaranteed for ONE operation. Now, I wouldn't expect car parts to be as critical or sensitive, it wouldn't surprise me if they were not designed to be cycled many times. Depends on their function and expected servicing frequency. Many of the plugs in the vehicle are probably never expected to be removed in normal operation, so they aren't as robust.

·
SweetXi
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From experience I have found that BMW connectors are very finicky. First there was the rear parking sensors that had been disconnected and reconnected but not working, then the left taillight throwing a code and not illuminating, also previously disconnected and reconnected, then the drivers seat throwing a code, never (to my knowledge at least) having been disconnected. Disconnecting & reconnecting all three eliminated the problems. And, fyi, all three appeared to be firmly connected previously.
Way back in my Army, missile maintenance activities, I once looked up the specs on one of the connectors...it was guaranteed for ONE operation. Now, I wouldn't expect car parts to be as critical or sensitive, it wouldn't surprise me if they were not designed to be cycled many times. Depends on their function and expected servicing frequency. Many of the plugs in the vehicle are probably never expected to be removed in normal operation, so they aren't as robust.
You guys are almost certainly right and I've been thinking the same thing... something I must have knocked loose.... I don't see from schematics that the switches in centre console should be attached or part of the lane change circuitry..but either one is or there is a connector passing through the area that I knocked when vacumming out the centre console area as it was filthy and had coffee stains etc.... Supposed to warm up this weekend (been way too cold to work on it outside and can't keep going to buddies garage and take a spot) so hopefully Sunday I'll pull it apart and take another look.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
So many things in our cars are controlled via a computer that exchanges data via the CANBus. Even routing the cable in a slightly different location could cause noise to disrupt the serial data. It is differential with twisted pair that certainly helps, but especially when it goes into a connector, those wires aren't twisted there.

Relating back to my missile system days...had a lady in the factory that did the final assembly on one part...been doing it her whole career there and then she retired. Things just didn't work reliably afterwards. They asked her to come back and show her replacement what she did to make things work right. Sometimes, inadvertent little tweaks have profound effects that people just wouldn't expect.

·
SweetXi
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So many things in our cars are controlled via a computer that exchanges data via the CANBus. Even routing the cable in a slightly different location could cause noise to disrupt the serial data. It is differential with twisted pair that certainly helps, but especially when it goes into a connector, those wires aren't twisted there.

Relating back to my missile system days...had a lady in the factory that did the final assembly on one part...been doing it her whole career there and then she retired. Things just didn't work reliably afterwards. They asked her to come back and show her replacement what she did to make things work right. Sometimes, inadvertent little tweaks have profound effects that people just wouldn't expect.
Just waiting for later today or tomorrow to tear apart... I've had centre console off a number of times before without issue... I really wonder if there is some cable running through there I hit or disconnected by mistake....

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,452 Posts
Way back in my Army, missile maintenance activities, I once looked up the specs on one of the connectors...it was guaranteed for ONE operation. .
I used to get connectors, coax RG-59 admittedly, hand delivered.

After I had assembled connectors they were radiographers and the transmission line was examined with a Time Domain Reflectometer and its trace archived. I won a huge beneficial suggestion award for suggesting and designing No-Step protection for the cable runs.

·
SweetXi
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used to get connectors, coax RG-59 admittedly, hand delivered.

After I had assembled connectors they were radiographers and the transmission line was examined with a Time Domain Reflectometer and its trace archived. I won a huge beneficial suggestion award for suggesting and designing No-Step protection for the cable runs.
Very cool! Well either the timing is very suspect or I knocked something loose under the centre console which I was carbon fibering...

Going to pull console this week and check everything under there carefully and if nothing detected (all switches are doing what they are supposed to so must be something else)....try recoding them.....

Then diagnose by pulling stuff apart...lol

·
SweetXi
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
turned out to be the emergency brake switch which I had replaced with a used one (was supposed to be compatible) as my original one had a badly scratched surface.... Put original back in and problem disappeared.... Bought new one with same product code and just awaiting it's arrival to install and test again.

·
Registered
272 Posts
BMW...What the frick should emerg brake have to do with blind spot. As a past Master Tech I dispise this new communication system everyone is beginning to use for their electrical items. Try pushing the horn button on a Chrysler truck quickly...nothing. You have to hold down for a time before it responds.

·
SweetXi
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BMW...What the frick should emerg brake have to do with blind spot. As a past Master Tech I despise this new communication system everyone is beginning to use for their electrical items. Try pushing the horn button on a Chrysler truck quickly...nothing. You have to hold down for a time before it responds.
I was just as surprised!! But it was the only thing I'd switched when reinstalling centre console, so it was the first thing I checked after verifying all the harnesses were plugged in correctly.. then replaced the emerg brake switch with original one. reattached the other wires and it worked again... Will be interesting to see if now switch cause same issue??? LOL

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Most of the switches in our BMWs do not actually switch the indicated function...they send a signal to the computer, and the computer does it. So, if the switch isn't playing well, it can disrupt the CANbus, and mess up all sorts of communications, or just send an incompatible message that confuses the hell out of things.

·
SweetXi
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Most of the switches in our BMWs do not actually switch the indicated function...they send a signal to the computer, and the computer does it. So, if the switch isn't playing well, it can disrupt the CANbus, and mess up all sorts of communications, or just send an incompatible message that confuses the hell out of things.
That's exactly what happened here I suspect... but why this switch impacted this particular system (nothing else was malfunctioning) is beyond me... yes they are controlled by same computer, but why only that function??? LOL

Oh, well, it got addressed.... more of an FYI now incase someone runs into this scenario...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts