BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Active Driving Assistance driving like a drunk driver

4K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  elmalo 
#1 ·
My M8 Competition Convertible (without surround view, if it makes a difference, although my replacement will have it) often drive like a drunk driver when in Active Driving Mode. When it switches lanes, it way over turns, and instead of maintaining its position isn’t he center of a lane, it often goes far left, overcorrects, goes far right, overcorrects, etc., as if I’m on the booze.

I have a replacement vehicle on order with the 3D Surround View, and not worried about this specific vehicle, but, wondering, does anyone else’s vehicle do this as well? I love the feature, but, it’s kinda scary and I worry I will get pulled over with the way this thing often drives!

#2 ·
That hasn't happened to me - my active driving assistant is pretty well behaved.

But...the automatic emergency collision-avoidance brakes-slam-on doohickey activated for the first time in nine months the other day, nearly tossing us into our own windshield. That was somewhat reassuring, except for the fact that we were in a parking lot and we saw absolutely no imminent or even non-imminent threat at the time.

#5 ·
Interesting, and perhaps a good thing I'm switching vehicles. Mine is very jerky at time, and way overcorrects. I guess it is good the emergency braking works for real emergencies, eh? I'm gonna see how differently mine performs on the new vehicle with the cameras.

#4 · (Edited)
Personally not a lover of driver assist, found it does some odd things in traffic which can catch you out, thinking what was that all about !!, but going back to your car, it might be the potential lack of sensors, but also it could be your car has lots of punch and the driver assist over compensates. What does make a big difference is rear wheel steering, this an takes some getting used to in a positive way!!

#6 ·
Believe it or not, the feature is amazing, and even compensates for folks jumping in front of me while in traffic. The display on the Instrument Cluster shows all the vehicles around you. I'm wondering if mine is so jerky because it doesn't have the rest of the cameras? It already has the sensors and the rearview mirror-mounted Cameras. I'm gonna compare when my replacement vehicle comes in; right now, it's very sloppy.

Also, I'm wondering if the 4WS is what's helping folks with the M850i, as the M8 Competition does not have that feature. When switching lanes, it turns the wheel way too sharp, and I can imagine the tire and alignment damage it's causing.

#10 · (Edited)
Just a comment, I specified 4 wheel steering as it was only an option at the time, I am really glad I did as it makes a big difference to the driving experience. Never more so than parking or reversing into tight places, it out maneuvers my mini when I do a full loop at the top of my road, and for a big car that is impressive.
I am surprised that the M8 competition does not have it, but then with the performance of the car perhaps not???

#11 ·
Yeah, I think it's a big deal regarding performance. The M8 Competition is extremely Power-Slide happy, then corrects if the driver does not do so soon enough (even at low speeds and less than half throttle). It is designed as such for the fun aspect (although I think they kinda overdid it a little to the point one must baby it like a RWD w/o stability even at low speeds), and 4WS would've totally ruined that experience. This thing really does remind me of the muscle vehicles from a couple scores back!

#12 ·
I have both driving assist systems on my 840i GC. They work well when the lane markers are clear, but when not, the car is like a drunk driver until the driving assist systems disconnect. When that happens there is a sudden loud barking sound that is very distracting and annoying and can cause accidents. According to BMW service this distraction can not be turned off.

#13 ·
Interesting. I have the drunk guy as well, but none of the sudden loud barking sound part. In fact, the system makes no sound when it either locks on lanes or loses the lock it is entirely silent. Just visual cues on the HUD.

#18 ·
On my 530e a fellow poster suggested unchecking the box for intervention under lance departure warning. That worked for me. While it is not perfect, it does a much better job. I think the two lane features (lane departure warning and lane assistant) must interfere with each other if intervention is turned on for departure.

#19 ·
SteveinArizona: I'll try that. The loud bark is a distracting nuisance every time the lane keeping loses sight of the lane markers. I notified the NHTSA about this distraction. There is also a loud bark when one enters the car and closes the door. According to the manual this bark is a seat belt reminder. Really stupid!

#20 ·
I agree that in the cruise control driver assist mode it will bounce back and forth within the lane of travel. But i rarely use it so sometimes i forget this complaint. If anyone gets a line on a fix or code out, please let me know! Thanks

Arturo

#23 ·
SteveinArizona: I notified NHTSA. Have not heard back yet. If they agree, I suppose they'll ask BMW to develop a fix and then have a Recall. Just a guess. There is no need for distracting alarm sounds, since there are plenty of warning on the HUD and instrument panel. BMW needs to brush up on Human Factors and Man/Machine Interface issues. Luckily, some of these things can be turned off, like the "Gesture Control", another nuisance.

#27 ·
Are you serious? Do you really think that NHTSA cares about the sounds? Your inquiry will go straight to the rotary file. they only do recalls on safety issues and your annoyance at the sounds the car makes don't qualify for that. FYI...my car has a relatively gentle beep sound when it first encounters a possible hazard and increases in speed, not necessarily volume, as the risk gets greater. I have never heard a barking sound.

You didn't answer my question re your complaint about the pinging back and forth in a lane. Did you try my fix...turning off the intervention button on the lane departure warning (not on the lane assistant or the blind spot warning...on the lane departure warning). It worked for me.

#24 ·
Does anybody have any idea what this guy keeps talking about when he mentions systems that "bark?" I have Active Driving and I have seatbelts and they do not "bark."

#26 · (Edited)
No. No audible alert. The yellow light flashes and the steering wheel vibrates moderately. Check your settings or bring the car into service.

#31 ·
I have taken my 2020 840iGC to the dealer several times about the stiff suspension (in Comfort mode) and the distracting nuisance noises it makes when steering assist disconnects, or when the parking assist thinks I'm too close to something. The noise can not be turned off and the suspension is "as designed". They also tell me that the 'drunk driver' behavior is 'normal' with the steering assist. This 840 is my first and last BMW. I will get rid of this POS as soon as the 2021 Mercedes models have arrived.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.