BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen this fault once before over a year ago on a long trip. Yesterday I went up to the Dragon. I put the car in sport and press the D.SC. Button to modify traction control.

After that I made fast hard runs on the best curvy road on the east coast. After prolonged hard running of curve after curve I eventually get errors relating to pressure. I haven't checked the fluid level in a while but it needed to let it cool before I could get an accurate level reading.

Anyone ever see this type of error on spirited drives?

·
Registered
825 Posts
How many miles on the car? Has the fluid ever been changed? We all know BMW states the Pentosin CH 11 is lifetime fill, don't believe it. If you have active steering, the fluid is getting a double workout. Replace reseuave bottle, which containers a filter within, and drain and flush the fluid by disconnecting the quick release on right front side below radiator drain, at least on M54s.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm at 154k miles so I think I will order a reservoir and do the drain method as you mentioned. I do have Active steering as well as ARS. I have drained and refilled the reservoir a few times in the past using the methodology you'd use on most automatic transmissions. This time I guess I'll do the drain method.

Thanks for chiming in. I appreciate your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fluid is a little low, not surprised since I haven't checked it in a while and I hadn't taken her on a mountain sprint in a while as well. I'm going to do a fluid and reservoir change. :)

SI B 37 200 04

SUBJECT
ARS Fault Codes 5D5B or 5D5C

SITUATION
Customer complains of Dynamic Drive Failure.

FAULT CODE
Faults codes 5D5B (pressure build up front axle) or 5D5C (pressure sensor rear axle) may be stored in Active Roll Stabilization (ARS) control unit.

CAUSE
Low fluid level, damaged hydraulic lines, faulty front sway bar or faulty power steering pump may cause these faults.

CORRECTION
Check the ARS fluid level and system pressure.

PROCEDURE
* Ensure power steering fluid is at proper level.
* If system pressure goes above 150 bar, then replace the front sway bar.
* If system pressure does not go above 150 bar, then check the hydraulic supply lines for damage.
* If hydraulic lines are not damaged, then replace the power steering pump.

·
Registered
1999 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.5
888 Posts
+1 on replacing that fluid and filter. I had a leak that would show itself after some spirited driving. Turns out when I dropped my front subframe a couple months ago I had disconnected and connected 2 of the lines that go into the ARS valve block. Removed them and cleaned the threads then sealed and installed them. No more leak after spirited driving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts