BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
J Roosh
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions vary for sure, and to each their own, but I deactivated the ASD on my M4 Convertible some time ago, and tonight on my new M550i.

One could argue the need for the enhancement on the TT Inline 6 M4, but the M550i TT V8 sounds so good without the sound enhancement, even in Comfort mode, that I don’t know why BMW felt the need to enhance it.

Again, I’m sure some owners love it, others may not even know it’s fake. It was very easy to defeat with the BimmerCode app.

Question: does anyone know if defeating the ASD on the M550i has any effect on the active sound deadening? Driving the car, it’s still very quiet, so I can’t tell yet.

·
J Roosh
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s the same technology used in noise-cancelling headphones.

Sound is produced through the speakers that is exactly out of phase (opposite of) of road noise, tire noise, etc. thereby canceling or “deadening” the noise in the cabin. The technology has existed for quite some time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the Bimmercode app and the OBD that they recommended. How, exactly, do I turn off the sound in Bimmercode? M550i It is not real intuitive and I don't want to inadvertently screw something else up. Also can I do it with the basic app or do I need to buy the software, no big deal if I do but I am not likely to change too much more as I do not understand the lingo.
thanks

·
J Roosh
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have the Bimmercode app and the OBD that they recommended. How, exactly, do I turn off the sound in Bimmercode? M550i It is not real intuitive and I don't want to inadvertently screw something else up. Also can I do it with the basic app or do I need to buy the software, no big deal if I do but I am not likely to change too much more as I do not understand the lingo.
thanks
ASD has its own section in the BimmerCode app: Active Sound Design, change the value to "Deactivated"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts