BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,
I am hoping that someone can give me some advice or assistance.
I have a jap spec 2006 e60. I am in the Caribbean.
The car has like 24k on the clock, hardly driven.
For years however it's had the active steering error showing up. The steering more recently has become off centered and made the car almost I drivable.
I've changed 2 szl sensors on the advice of mechanics here and the problem hasn't been solved.
The dealer here is a dud, and the outside mechanics I've been to(3) haven't been able to reset the active steering and take off the error and calibrate the steering.
I am pulling my hair out at this point.
Any advice? Can any techs in the forum walk me or a mechanic through what needs to be checked properly?
Someone tried to assist me remotely via Team Viewer. I bought the cable and installed software on my laptop, but they never came through.
Thanks for reading this long epistle, hoping someone can help me.
Regards

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Greetings all,
I am hoping that someone can give me some advice or assistance.
I have a jap spec 2006 e60. I am in the Caribbean.
The car has like 24k on the clock, hardly driven.
For years however it's had the active steering error showing up. The steering more recently has become off centered and made the car almost I drivable.
I've changed 2 szl sensors on the advice of mechanics here and the problem hasn't been solved.
The dealer here is a dud, and the outside mechanics I've been to(3) haven't been able to reset the active steering and take off the error and calibrate the steering.
I am pulling my hair out at this point.
Any advice? Can any techs in the forum walk me or a mechanic through what needs to be checked properly?
Someone tried to assist me remotely via Team Viewer. I bought the cable and installed software on my laptop, but they never came through.
Thanks for reading this long epistle, hoping someone can help me.
Regards
Sorry to bump. Please any advice

·
2008 535xi wagon
3,225 Posts
You should really adjust the toe. It's part of an alignment but it's possible it was not done correctly. I'd be surprised if this wasn't it. Active steering adjusts the ratio of steering wheel angle to wheel angle. Nothing to do with how centered everything is.

You can do all the electronic things you want, it's not going to change any mechanical aspects of your car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have a fault code that you can post, along with the description?
Thanks.
The mechanic is using a iscan Vedis Wt 2.
No errors.
The car hasn't really been driven for any mechanical damage to have occurred.
The active steering error comes up on I drive monitor.
Also, I am not sure if I mentioned that the steering wheel offset varies at times and sometimes gets progressively more off enter while car is being driven.
Idk. Idk.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks.
The mechanic is using a iscan Vedis Wt 2.
No errors.
The car hasn't really been driven for any mechanical damage to have occurred.
The active steering error comes up on I drive monitor.
Also, I am not sure if I mentioned that the steering wheel offset varies at times and sometimes gets progressively more off enter while car is being driven.
Idk. Idk.
These are the errors which have come up.
Please note, I put in a new SZL and a new IBS sensor for the battery.

AFS 613C angle sum relation : incorrect

613F Steering Angle plausibility

GW E180 Wake up network unsuccessful

Any ideas if these can be corrected and how?
The active steering module isn't showing any errors and can be communicated with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These are the errors which have come up.
Please note, I put in a new SZL and a new IBS sensor for the battery.

AFS 613C angle sum relation : incorrect

613F Steering Angle plausibility

GW E180 Wake up network unsuccessful

Any ideas if these can be corrected and how?
The active steering module isn't showing any errors and can be communicated with.
Sorry to be a pain. Bumping this.
I am going to sell this fricking car, this is too much..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is there any pro BMW service tech on here based in Florida?
This inability to drive my car or even figure out what is happening is killing me.
At this point I would love to speak with someone about coming to Jamaica for a weekend to work on the car.
Idk what to do.

·
BMW CCA 69606
2,463 Posts
.......... The steering more recently has become off centered and made the car almost I drivable..........
Also, I am not sure if I mentioned that the steering wheel offset varies at times and sometimes gets progressively more off enter while car is being driven..........
"Rocking side to side" does not calibrate the SZL.
Active steering is a steer-by-wire system. There is no direct connection between the steering wheel and the rack. If steering wheel loses it's center position I would think the possible causes are:
1) Play in the tie-rod ends, rack, steering coupler OR
2) In order for active steering to work the system needs to continuously know the steering input (from SZL, I suspect) and output (from servotronic unit) shaft positions. Loss of communication with either of these position sensors or implausible positions would explain loss of steering center and the error messages.

If wiring and module are OK, I suspect you will need a new servotronic rack.

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/t/bmw-active-steering-system-explained/56505

No one here is going to be able to tell you which part(s) to replace. I would leave car at dealer and if they can't find cause insist they open a PUMA case. Very hard to believe BMW can figure out how to fix this. If you don't like the dealers cost to fix, get the diagnosis, pay the diagnostic fee and go elsewhere for repair.

Has the steering rack ever been underwater?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"Rocking side to side" does not calibrate the SZL.
Active steering is a steer-by-wire system. There is no direct connection between the steering wheel and the rack. If steering wheel loses it's center position I would think the possible causes are:
1) Play in the tie-rod ends, rack, steering coupler OR
2) In order for active steering to work the system needs to continuously know the steering input (from SZL, I suspect) and output (from servotronic unit) shaft positions. Loss of communication with either of these position sensors or implausible positions would explain loss of steering center and the error messages.

If wiring and module are OK, I suspect you will need a new servotronic rack.

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/t/bmw-active-steering-system-explained/56505

No one here is going to be able to tell you which part(s) to replace. I would leave car at dealer and if they can't find cause insist they open a PUMA case. Very hard to believe BMW can figure out how to fix this. If you don't like the dealers cost to fix, get the diagnosis, pay the diagnostic fee and go elsewhere for repair.

Has the steering rack ever been underwater?
Thanks for response.
The problem is that the sole dealer here will not touch the car. It is a Jap Spec import that I brought in personally.
They only work on the cars that they sell and European spec imports.
Jap and US spec are considered gray market and they feel they will cannibalize their sales.
That being said, the technicians at the dealer will do outside work. So they are the best locally anyway. But the best in my country is not actually indicative of competence.
I've tried with 2 of them who have been unable to fix.
The szl calibration was attempted several times. Hooked up to the machine and turned to the various angles. Upon driving off. The offset steering returns in minutes.

The codes that come up are :
AFS 613c angle sum relation: incorrect
613f steering angle plausibility

Does the servotronic unit have a sensor that can be individually checked? Or does any of those errors relate to it?

2 of the mechanics have said they believe it is the rack. But I can't justify spending on and importing one from the UK for a car this age, and it may not be the problem anyway.

No, the car has never been flooded or in deep water to damage the unit.

However, it was jump started numerous times as it was parked for many months at a time during my travels.
The IBS battery chip was making a new battery I had put in discharge and require jump starts.
I got a new IBS and now the battery is keeping the charge.
I know that people say a faulty or low battery can be a cause of many of these problems, but no battery error shows up when the car is checked.
As you can see, I am at my wits end. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I will read the link you posted now. Thank you much.

·
BMW CCA 69606
2,463 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-10-BMW-E...ash=item2f056a2c1f:g:ohcAAOSwRXRZP9HW&vxp=mtr

The 7th & 8th photos in the above link show the electrical connection on the rack. Make sure connection is tight and corrosion free.

Google "BMW 613C" there are several good posts with fixes.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=737606

CZ32 had a bad MPM....Micro Power Module in the above link. Is there any evidence of water every being in your trunk spare tire well?
Thank you.
Is it possible to have both active steering and servotronic? I thought it was alternative steering mechanisms.
I have had water in the battery compartment. Not in the spare wheel well.
Would the mpm affect steering? My radio and entertainment area is fine so far.

·
BMW CCA 69606
2,463 Posts
Good catch. The original link was not active steering. I've corrected the link. The point is there are used units available at a fraction of new parts cost. Anything that provides power to or processes signals from steering unit is suspect. MPM's weren't used in all E60's and I don't know if your does or not, but CZ32 says it fixed his with similar codes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.