Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sidebar in CAR about the coming 'Active Steering' system

"BMW does us good turn

Right. Take a big sip and sit back because this is a little complicated. Sometime next year BMW will offer a new 'intelligent' steering system on the new 5-series. Dubbed ActiveSteering, the principle is quite simple but fantastically effective. ActiveSteering is based on a conventional Servotronic rack and pinion system. However, at the base of the steering column-just above the point where it meshes with the steering rack-is a planetary gearbox and an 'assisting' electonic motor.

It's like comparing your old single-gear bike with a modern one with enough ratios for ever possible situation. AS delivers variable gearing depending on the way the car is being driven- thanks to the mini-electric motor whirring away and adjusting the ratio continuously, even while the driver is turning the wheel.
Installed for now in a current 530i, AS produces amazing results. The driver doesn't have to cross his hands no matter how sinous the road, and in wild oversteer situations, once the driver has steered into a sliede there's no need for arm flailing to catch the tail as it snap back the other way. It would be ideal for Formula One cars, for example.

In more down-to-earth situations, AS has a much better, more consistent weighting at the rims, feels much more direct and there's virtually no play in the straight-ahead positon.
AS will be an option costing between 600 GBP and 1000 GBP. This is really a moajor step forward in automotive design."

hmmm...

quick spin recovery at least :dunno:

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hmmm, I would have to reserve judgment until I tried it, but it seems like auto manufacturers are trying to make it so we do less 'driving' when we are driving.

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
I'm just waiting for the headline that reads something like "BMW introduces robot car: no driver input required."

T

·
0 Posts
nate328Ci said:

That's the standard response to anything new, right?
It my standard response to any new system where an automaker puts a computer in a decision-making role with respect to the operation of my vehicle.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
nate328Ci said:
The driver doesn't have to cross his hands no matter how sinous the road, and in wild oversteer situations, once the driver has steered into a sliede there's no need for arm flailing to catch the tail as it snap back the other way. It would be ideal for Formula One cars, for example.
In the last few autocrosses, there have been a few sections where the steering ratio made things more of a PITA than they needed to be. A system like this could do wonders in long slaloms and through doglegs meant to slow you down. As old fashioned and unrefined as the Mustang 5.0s were, they had FAST steering at 2.1 turns lock to lock (IIRC). Along with the torque, I miss that fast steering from time to time.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TD said:

It my standard response to any new system where an automaker puts a computer in a decision-making role with respect to the operation of my vehicle.
How is changing the steering ratio altering your decision making process?

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Re: Active steering

In the last few autocrosses, there have been a few sections where the steering ratio made things more of a PITA than they needed to be. A system like this could do wonders in long slaloms and through doglegs meant to slow you down. As old fashioned and unrefined as the Mustang 5.0s were, they had FAST steering at 2.1 turns lock to lock (IIRC). Along with the torque, I miss that fast steering from time to time.
Yup, I wish for faster steering occasionally.

A problem with that is that low speed manuvers are made more difficult. This looks like it could be a good option.

And, if you don't like it, don't order it. I would try before I buy.

T

·
0 Posts
nate328Ci said:

How is changing the steering ratio altering your decision making process?
You misquoted me.

I said it was making decisions for me not altering my decision making process.

Under this system, IT would decide what ratio would be in place when.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
TD said:

What decision is it taking out of your hands? As I read and understand it, the only difference will be how far you have to move your hands when steering. You still control when you steer, how much and how long.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
God damn it! Just when I started feeling competent about my skillz in being able to quickly correct a spin they come out with this sh*t.

How is Stuka suppose to have fun throwing his car sideways now, when the car's steering is just going to make minute adjustments to PREVENT him from doing so?!

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
TD said:

No different than today or yesterday...they chose what ratio you would get and you were stuck with it.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TD said:

You misquoted me.

I said it was making decisions for me not altering my decision making process.

No I didn't.

You said "puts a computer in a decision-making role with respect to the operation of my vehicle"

How does this change your role?

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The HACK said:
God damn it! Just when I started feeling competent about my skillz in being able to quickly correct a spin they come out with this sh*t.

How is Stuka suppose to have fun throwing his car sideways now, when the car's steering is just going to make minute adjustments to PREVENT him from doing so?!
Umm...

Maybe you didn't read the article, it DOES NOT CORRECT FOR YOU. It alters the ratio contiously, it DOES NOT STEER FOR YOU.

I didn't think you would pull stuff out of thin air, maybe I was wrong.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
nate328Ci said:

Umm...

Maybe you didn't read the article, it DOES NOT CORRECT FOR YOU. It alters the ratio contiously, it DOES NOT STEER FOR YOU.

I didn't think you would pull stuff out of thin air, maybe I was wrong.
What does this mean NATE?

"...and in wild oversteer situations, once the driver has steered into a slide there's no need for arm flailing to catch the tail as it snap back the other way.
This is what I thought the steering was "correcting" for you. Once in an oversteer situation, you steer into a slide and then when the oversteer is corrected you steer back...This just sounds weird. If you DON'T steer back then the steering rack is doing something funky for you.

My first inclination would be to countersteer and as soon as the car snaps out of the oversteer to counter the countersteer. I've yet to drive this system but it sounds to me like it would give experienced drivers fits in oversteer situations.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
The HACK said:

My first inclination would be to countersteer and as soon as the car snaps out of the oversteer to counter the countersteer. I've yet to drive this system but it sounds to me like it would give experienced drivers fits in oversteer situations.
I don't think that it says it all that clearly, but think about having to move your hands positions on the wheel when piling on full opposite lock. My take on the description is that you'd get ot full lock without having to move the wheel as far.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The HACK said:

What does this mean NATE?

This is what I thought the steering was "correcting" for you. Once in an oversteer situation, you steer into a slide and then when the oversteer is corrected you steer back...This just sounds weird. If you DON'T steer back then the steering rack is doing something funky for you.

Quickening the ratio is how that would work. I take that line in context as meaning that the ratio would be shaply quickened so that the driver can get the sterring to desired position immediately without having to shuffle hands, which sucks if you have slow steering trying to correct a big slide.

As for what would happen for experinced drivers, I dunno. The author thought it would be fantastic, I would have to drive the system to get a grasp of it. If you get used to it, the new steering may be great.

One turn lock to lock?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts