Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Overall I'm positive on the engine shut down mode of the hybrid, especially since the lights can be pretty long here. However, there are times that I don't want the engine to shut down, and it does. The options are to jiggle the steering wheel, or pull the gear shift into Sport. I guess you can select chassis sport mode as well. I was wondering what you do to avoid this annoyance?

Jiggle and keep the car moving gently
Give way or Stop sign with no traffic - Jiggle and keep the car moving gently
Stop sign with traffic or possibility of police - Pull the shifter
U-Turn against opposing traffic - Pull the shifter
Going from drive to reverse - chassis sport mode

Or do you not bother and just keep the car in DS? Or in Sport chassis mode?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sports model dose't disable the stop/go function so I just put it in DS. If not, sometime I look at crossing traffic light and when it hit yellow I let go of brake to fire up the engine.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to try that approach. I usually use Auto-hold, so the trigger for engine restart is the accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yes, I'm doing without the Auto-Hold. Either method should be fine, pending on user preference. However, I still can't figure out how to go back to "battery mode" after short rolling. Of course, there are good reason for not going back to battery mode after short rolling (ex. garage parking, stop/go traffic) but I think some type of manual select technique should be fine (ex. iDrive menu).

·
Registered
277 Posts
It only takes a small release of the brake (maybe 40% but the car still cant move) to re start the engine, then you can re -push down fully on the break until you are ready to drive....i use it for left hand turns with traffic....really easy. Also in sport plus using manual select you really feel the immediate acceleration of this beast.....

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that's a good back up option. I'd still prefer it not to stop then restart in the first place.

·
Registered
245 Posts
i do not use auto hold. i press the brake and when the light is about to turn red, i pull up on the brake so the engine turns on and then press the brakes again.

·
Registered
152 Posts
slap the gear slector left into sport mode, or release the brake about 40% like was mentioned here

·
Registered
273 Posts
So what kind of gas milage you guys getting with the AH?

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
About the same as my old convertible M3. 14-15mpg 80% city driving. The M3 weighs about 700lb less.

Highway I'll get 22mpg averaging 70mph, in a range of about 65-90mph. Autobahn I got about 16mpg. This is on an engine that just has 1200 miles on it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Similar to my B7

·
Registered
713 Posts
I've consistently been getting 17.6 with 90% city driving. Almost always in sport mode. I'm quite impressed.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Avg about 20 mpg. 50/50 highway/local with sports+ mode 50% of time, much better than our stage 1 X5 50 which avg about 15 mpg under the same condition.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My poor mileage may be due to the length of my commute - it's only 4 miles.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hmmm...not sure if I am doing something different or my trip meter is not accurate.

Suburb to downtown - trip meter ranges between 27-28 mpg on Comfort plus mode.

·
Registered
245 Posts
i get about 16-17 mpg mostly city going to work (18 miles each way).

on the freeway, i usually get around 20-22mpg.

·
Registered
245 Posts
i get about 16-17 mpg mostly city going to work (18 miles each way).

on the freeway, i usually get around 20-22mpg.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am getting about 3 mpg better than my 2010 750 ix. Unlike your typical hybrid owner I am not trying to get good mpg. I am too busy enjoying the acceleration! The 8 speed gear box is a real joy in this car. A real improvement over the 2010 6 speed

1 - 20 of 24 Posts