BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
BMW 7 Series Obsessed
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those of you who shelled out the approximately $15000 premium over the standard 7 model for the ActiveHybrid- have you enjoyed better or worse mileage than the 17 mpg city/26 highway touted by BMW? I'm trying to calculate in real-world terms how many miles I would have had to drive to recoup the additional cost of the hybrid. My standard 750i is getting 17.5 city/21.5 highway. How about you?

·
BMW 7 Series Obsessed
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry for the duplicate post- the first one was delayed in showing up & I thought I hadn't properly submitted it!

By my calculations, with my own annual mileage of 10,000 (approximately 8000 city and 2000 highway), with my actual mileage of 17.5 city and 21 highway, compared with the AH at about 19 city and 26 highway, for ME (and this is only illustrative of my situation in particular) the gasoline savings of the hybrid versus the non-hybrid would be 67 gallons/year, and at $4.00 a gallon that's $268/year, so it would take 55.9 years of ownership to recoup the additional cost of owning the ActiveHybrid. I like to keep cars a while, but this may be outside the realm of even my pecuniary conservatism.

·
8D
745 Posts
You should have gotten a hybrid 7 right after graduating high school in order to break even on gas expenses by the time you hit 75 or so. :D I guess hybrid 7, S, LS, etc. are more of a statement. The mileage for regular 7 is pretty damn good to begin with. I occasionally drive my dad's S550, and I struggle to score 15+ MPG. With 4 people inside the car on a congested freeway, it's a one digit MPG. Sometimes, the gas needle moves faster than the car itself.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry for the duplicate post- the first one was delayed in showing up & I thought I hadn't properly submitted it!

By my calculations, with my own annual mileage of 10,000 (approximately 8000 city and 2000 highway), with my actual mileage of 17.5 city and 21 highway, compared with the AH at about 19 city and 26 highway, for ME (and this is only illustrative of my situation in particular) the gasoline savings of the hybrid versus the non-hybrid would be 67 gallons/year, and at $4.00 a gallon that's $268/year, so it would take 55.9 years of ownership to recoup the additional cost of owning the ActiveHybrid. I like to keep cars a while, but this may be outside the realm of even my pecuniary conservatism.
You get 17 in the city..***** ..I am averaging 12 in the city and 17 (750LI) on the freeway to Atlantic city. I drive in normal mode for the economy usage. You must already have the AH engine in your car.

·
BMW 7 Series Obsessed
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You get 17 in the city..***** ..I am averaging 12 in the city and 17 (750LI) on the freeway to Atlantic city. I drive in normal mode for the economy usage. You must already have the AH engine in your car.
City for me is 50 MPH 4 lane roads with traffic lights, and occasional bumper to bumper at rush hour. It's not very congested, so I spend more time at crusing speed than at idle. This whole argument started for me when an acquaintance commented on how I must be regretting my gas-guzzling purchase with today's gas prices and why didn't I buy the hybrid version, yada yada. Then I did the math and I was pleased with the answer.

·
UNCBimmer7
194 Posts
I am averaging 17.5 local and 23 on the high way, not too bad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts