BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my old car infiniti G37, people call the sport mode in that car a 'fake' sport mode. Because all it does is delay the automatic shifting. In other words, it doesn't do anything other than make a louder noise.

I brought my 535i not long ago but made the mistake of not getting the M Sport package.

My question is how does the sport mode of this car fair?

By not getting the sport package, does my sport mode act the same way as the infiniti?

Does the sport mode still adjust the suspension, steering, chassis, and transmission of my car?

Thanks ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The sport Package and the M sport package are similar, but the M sport package is visually different from the outside.

I have a 2012 M sport package with manual damper control (separate option for 2012) and the Sport's Automatic Transmission, but I think when you get dynamic handling in a 2011 car, you get damper control.

Here's what I believe the difference are in sport mode.

Faster throttle response.
Suspension is firmer - this is adjustable on my car.
The car is held in gear longer.
Reduced gear shift time.
I think 8th gear is locked out.

In sports plus mode, the application of DSC is reduced.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sport Package and the M sport package are similar, but the M sport package is visually different from the outside.

I have a 2012 M sport package with manual damper control (separate option for 2012) and the Sport's Automatic Transmission, but I think when you get dynamic handling in a 2011 car, you get damper control.

Here's what I believe the difference are in sport mode.

Faster throttle response.
Suspension is firmer - this is adjustable on my car.
The car is held in gear longer.
Reduced gear shift time.
I think 8th gear is locked out.

In sports plus mode, the application of DSC is reduced.
How about the car 'without' M package or sport package? Just the base 535 does it do all these stuff too?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
The base car does not have a sport suspension mode. It has DS mode which makes various transmission changes, but you need the dynamic handling package to get an adjustable sport suspension.

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
How about the car 'without' M package or sport package? Just the base 535 does it do all these stuff too?
Throttle is more responsive. Transmission more aggressive. That's it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The base car does not have a sport suspension mode. It has DS mode which makes various transmission changes, but you need the dynamic handling package to get an adjustable sport suspension.
Throttle is more responsive. Transmission more aggressive. That's it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer
So in other words, by not getting the sport package, I have a 'fake' sport mode just like my old car. :(

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
So in other words, by not getting the sport package, I have a 'fake' sport mode just like my old car. :(
Why is it "fake"?

The difference is pronounced. The car delivers a much sportier drive with them engaged. In your post above you said, "it doesn't do anything other than make a louder noise", that's not true. By delaying the shifts, you are much closer to the heart of the power band. The car's performance will be much more pronounced.

Of course, it does not affect steering, suspension, etc. However, if you knew the car had both a Sport and an M Sport package, would you not think you were missing out on most of the sport features if you bought it without? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
In my old car infiniti G37, people call the sport mode in that car a 'fake' sport mode. Because all it does is delay the automatic shifting. In other words, it doesn't do anything other than make a louder noise.

I brought my 535i not long ago but made the mistake of not getting the M Sport package.

My question is how does the sport mode of this car fair?

By not getting the sport package, does my sport mode act the same way as the infiniti?

Does the sport mode still adjust the suspension, steering, chassis, and transmission of my car?

Thanks ! :thumbup:
You need the DHP to get an adjustable suspension. It's important to read the nature of the various available options BEFORE you buy a car. The "sport package" does NOT include an adjusable suspension or any other suspension modifications.

·
Over 20 years owning BMWs
720 Posts
You need the DHP to get an adjustable suspension. It's important to read the nature of the various available options BEFORE you buy a car. The "sport package" does NOT include an adjusable suspension or any other suspension modifications.
The 2012 sports package DOES include adjustable dampers.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The 2012 sports package DOES include adjustable dampers.
You are correct. I tried to cancel my post when I realized this but was unsuccessful. It was in the 2011 model that the DHP was not included in the sport package. It is for 2012. However, the ARS is now a stand alone option. I think the ARS is a real enhancement for sporty handling.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The 2011 535 is wired for the auto dampers.

I suspect if you check with your dealer, they can add dynamic dampers and program the car. The switch is already in place and the car is wired for it.

Or you can get a set of coilovers. (much cheaper and can be auto or manually adjusted).

It just depends on your driving styling. Set it and forget it, or do you anticipate changing suspension settings often.

However, be warned if you live in a pothole infested area, stiffer suspension will know doubt contribute to more tire/wheel damage.

With the exception of a few enthusiasts on this board, I suspect few people actually use the adjustable suspension other than to show off when the car is first new. I would think most people would forget about it anyway. At least until they get tire/wheel damage. :dunno:

I think what really sells the car is the appearance package with the sport/M sport options.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why is it "fake"?

The difference is pronounced. The car delivers a much sportier drive with them engaged. In your post above you said, "it doesn't do anything other than make a louder noise", that's not true. By delaying the shifts, you are much closer to the heart of the power band. The car's performance will be much more pronounced.

Of course, it does not affect steering, suspension, etc. However, if you knew the car had both a Sport and an M Sport package, would you not think you were missing out on most of the sport features if you bought it without? :dunno:
People call it 'fake' sport mode because it doesn't actually make the car any sportier.

Sure the shifting gets delayed, but that is something I could do better myself by changing gears manually.

I guess what I am trying to say is, I wanted the car to handle better in sport mode but guess I don't have that. :(

If I knew sooner, I would of gotten the sport package. :dunno:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts