Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,805 Posts
1. Welcome

2. Work on your thread titles... Like "2008 ransmission issue"...

3. Any history?????? Miles, maintenance, ownership, when/how this happened...any symptoms prior? Al that stuff

4. Do you have a VMW specific code reader or computer?? THIS WILL BE ESSENTIAL. just going to autozone for a read will not cut it.

5. DO NOT GO TO A BMW DEALER. you will be told 'new transmission'...almost 100% certainty.

Report back

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I did screw up the title.
Current mileage 118000
I have an ICARLY for BMW
HISTORY:
About 6 months ago l noticed a clicking sound from the shifter when coming out of first gear into second gear.
After a few weeks I noticed the shifting into all gears in D mode were starting to not shift normally.
Then it started to jump forward when stopped at a light. If I hadn’t had my foot on the brake I would of hit the car in front of me.
This started to happen more often then got to the point where the shifting got rough then finally drew codes so I parked it.
The transmission code on the small display appeared and it also appeared on the large display. I came back later that day and it powered on with no codes. As I drove it back home in first gear in D mode the transmission codes came up again and I made it home and parked it in the garage.
The car powers on but like I said it won’t go into D or R mode and returns back to park.
I have done all the maintenance myself up to now.
My plan was to fix it and sell it to hopefully recoup what we owe on it so we can pay the loan off. Not sure how much it’s worth as is.
What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,805 Posts
What BMW codes are you seeing? IGNORE anything that is displayed inside the car- these are almost worthless.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Transmission Problems 08 X5 4.8i

Not sure how to edit my thread
I will see what codes come up on the Icarly and attempt to post it.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,805 Posts
Not sure how to edit my thread
I will see what codes come up on the Icarly and attempt to post it.
So Adam Alaya and maskservices are one person?!?

Choose one, ask a mod to delete the other....

·
What was that?
911 Posts
Sorry, I did screw up the title.
Current mileage 118000
I have an ICARLY for BMW
HISTORY:
About 6 months ago l noticed a clicking sound from the shifter when coming out of first gear into second gear.
After a few weeks I noticed the shifting into all gears in D mode were starting to not shift normally.
Then it started to jump forward when stopped at a light. If I hadn’t had my foot on the brake I would of hit the car in front of me.
This started to happen more often then got to the point where the shifting got rough then finally drew codes so I parked it.
The transmission code on the small display appeared and it also appeared on the large display. I came back later that day and it powered on with no codes. As I drove it back home in first gear in D mode the transmission codes came up again and I made it home and parked it in the garage.
The car powers on but like I said it won’t go into D or R mode and returns back to park.
I have done all the maintenance myself up to now.
My plan was to fix it and sell it to hopefully recoup what we owe on it so we can pay the loan off. Not sure how much it’s worth as is.
What are your thoughts?
I don’t like your plan a lot...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
If you want to recoup money I would say pay an Indy an hour of labor to try their best to diagnose it. Then decide. $100 is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,480 Posts
So Adam Alaya and maskservices are one person?!?

Choose one, ask a mod to delete the other....
Zip 78596 = Weslaco, Tx

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,805 Posts
Yeah, thats what triggered my note. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts