BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· '18 Donington Grey M5
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here went with Adaptive Drive vs. M Sport suspension?

I think I was one of the minority here that went with M Sport suspension and 6 speed manny

· Registered
3,341 Posts
There doesn't appear to be anything called an "M Sport Suspension". The M Sport Package does not include any suspension changes. The Adaptive Drive is indicated to be a combination of Active Roll Stabilization and Dynamic Damper Control. These two are the only factory suspension options offered to improve handling. Check the BMWusa website for confirmation of this, that's where I got it.

· The Driver
4,804 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that.

· Registered
3,341 Posts
This is a direct copy and paste quote from the BMW website:

"Adaptive Drive

Adaptive Drive combines performance-elevating Active Roll Stabilizations and ride-enhancing Dynamic Damping Control. The result is exceptional ride comfort and fluid handling at all times - during changes in vehicle speed, load or road and driving conditions."

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Cont...atures_and_Specs/550iSedanPkgsandOptions.aspx

· Everything's Bigger in TX
7,193 Posts
The US does not have an M Sport suspension option.

· Registered
437 Posts
Here the info I have regarding this suspension topic for MY13.

M Sport Package $2900 includes Sport Suspension according to the window sticker on MY13 vehicles. Unless this is a typo by BMWUSA which I'm not surprised considering what happened last month on their website regarding the 445hp typo.

Dynamic Damper Control is a $1000 add-on which was part of the M Sport Package in 2012.

Dynamic Handling Package is a $3500 add-on with DDC & ARS/Adaptive Drive, this was part of the M Sport Package in 2011.

As to which configuration is better, it's strictly a personal choice based on one's individual driving style. I prefer DDC MYSELF, since you can at least adjust the settings from comfort to sport + so you have a slight range to play with. With the sport suspension or Adaptive drive, there is no driver setting, it is always on. Just my $0.02.

· Registered
3,341 Posts
What exactly is the "sport suspension" which you describe as included in the M Sport package. There is no indication that this includes anything other than ARS or DDC. There is no indication that the springs are different from the standard springs. The variable dampers and the active roll bars are the only suspension options indicated to be available for the F10 in the USA. No other suspension options are indicated anywhere. Which options are you referring to?

· Registered
5,715 Posts
What exactly is the "sport suspension" which you describe as included in the M Sport package. There is no indication that this includes anything other than ARS or DDC. There is no indication that the springs are different from the standard springs. The variable dampers and the active roll bars are the only suspension options indicated to be available for the F10 in the USA. No other suspension options are indicated anywhere. Which options are you referring to?
Probably the old suspension upgrade that came with the ZSP, which doesn't exist anymore. :dunno:

· Registered
471 Posts
Look at the configurators for the 535i and 550i. The M sport package has sport suspension as an alternative to dynamic damper control. You can order one or the other but not both. When you specify sport suspension the car appears to drop by an inch or less. Just like on Euro-spec cars. Just like my beater E46 with sport package.

M sport without dynamic damper control gives you shorter springs if the configurator is to be believed.

· Registered
3,341 Posts
Look at the configurators for the 535i and 550i. The M sport package has sport suspension as an alternative to dynamic damper control. You can order one or the other but not both. When you specify sport suspension the car appears to drop by an inch or less. Just like on Euro-spec cars. Just like my beater E46 with sport package.

M sport without dynamic damper control gives you shorter springs if the configurator is to be believed.
Unfortunately, the website does not offer any description of exactly what this "sport suspension" consists of. Where does it actually say it consists of "shorter springs". Could you please post a link to that description on the BMW website. Thanks.

Here's the link to the "Packages and Options" page for the 550i on the BMW website:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Cont...atures_and_Specs/550iSedanPkgsandOptions.aspx

I can't find anything that says "sport suspension". The only suspension options listed are ARS and DDC.

· Registered
3,341 Posts
If that is the case, BMW is lying on my 2013 window sticker.
Yes, I see it there. The M Sport package on the website includes "adaptive drive" with the DDC being an extra $1000. Maybe that's what you sticker indication means. I can't find anything about different springs. I suggest someone call BMWUSA customer relations toll free on Tuesday to staighten out this conflicting information.

The toll free number is:

1-800-831-1117

· Everything's Bigger in TX
7,193 Posts
If that is the case, BMW is lying on my 2013 window sticker.
That is a "sport suspension", whatever the is.

In Europe, there is a dedicated MSport suspension.

· Premium Member
6,932 Posts
I suggest someone call BMWUSA customer relations toll free on Tuesday to staighten out this conflicting information.

The toll free number is:

1-800-831-1117
The M Sport suspension is listed on BMWUSA's Build Your Own app for the 2013 550i. If you still don't believe it is an actual suspension option, I suggest that you call BMWUSA - the number is posted above. :rofl:

· Registered
3,341 Posts
The M Sport suspension is listed on BMWUSA's Build Your Own app for the 2013 550i. If you still don't believe it is an actual suspension option, I suggest that you call BMWUSA - the number is posted above. :rofl:
Yes, I see it there. Adaptive Drive, Dynamic Damper Control, and M Sport suspension. The M Sport Suspension is now part of the package for 2013. This is new and is not seen on the other pages of the website under packages and options, it's only on the Build Your Own page. Thanks. Maybe this is the suspension that was only previously available in Europe.

The BMW website has frequently been plagued with these types of inconsistencies and inaccuracies.

· Registered
5 Posts

In Europe the M Sports Suspension drops the car by around 10mm (0.4") I believe. Quote from Autocar: M Sport Suspension brings recalibrations to the suspension (springs, dampers and ride height).

Selecting DDC deletes the M Sports Suspension and take the ride height back to normal (or some say slightly higher).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.